DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I could use some help identifying a material, which I realize is a challenge based on a few photos.

The material exists in the corners and edges of the shower. I haven't quite lived here 3 years, so it was done before I moved in. In a couple of places, the strips are starting to come off. This isn't the typical silicone caulk that I'm familiar with, as it's much harder and rougher. But it isn't the rock hard grout that's between the tiles.

I'd like to replace them, but I have no idea what it is, and was hoping to get some opinions.

After doing some research, it may be sanded caulk for ceramic tile? But I'm not familiar with that and I'd love to get some feedback.

Thanks!

EDIT: It appears the pictures posted sideways, but they should still serve their purpose.

Attachments

·
DIY Veteran
666 Posts
Perhaps it's just standard tub and tile caulk that comes in the squeeze tube.
Maybe dow?
I use a good exterior caulk for the shower also. OSI quad caulk is my favorite.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you go to the tile aisle in the box stores, you will find sanded grout caulk in different colors to match your grout. If it has a rough texture, that's probably what it is. Even if it's not, it's what you should use.,

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
Yes, just a bad and old caulk job with sanded matching caulk. The peeling caulk looks useless since there's already something underneath it. What's underneath is probably grout, and maybe they caulk over it because the grout was cracking. The gray is just a bad caulk job. The failing caulk should be scraped out, then you can see what's going on and make a plan. The gray caulk is just aesthetic, but I would scrape that out and redo it better. A tool like this works well. https://www.acehardware.com/departm...N3RgGYHnTUvKjTR6zZBoC4AYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I'm pretty confident that the caulk in question is not your typical silicone caulk, given that it's not smooth or soft. I actually brought the strip with me to Home Depot last time, was told by a well-meaning employee that it was just silicone caulk, came back home with silicone caulk, and it was nothing like what I was trying to replace.

But it occurred to me that this isn't being used around a tub, it's being used between tiles.

And yes, in at least one point there seems to be an additional layer of caulk underneath the strip coming off. Perhaps the gap was too big and they needed an additional layer, but I always assumed that the outer later was pure aesthetics. I'll try some sanded tile caulk and hopefully that solves it. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.