DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've read it should be around 80 psi. this is the first time i've had a gauge on the water line and it seems i've got about 120 psi on the city side.

unusually high? high, but ok?
cheers...gary

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Anything over 80 psi should be addressed with a water pressure reducing valve.

120 psi is very high for house pressure. If you do install a prv make sure you install an expansion tank as well. Just a suggestion

·
retired painter
10,922 Posts
80 psi is on the high end? does it ever get higher?

I live on top of a hill, the pressure at the meter is around 100 psi or so but at the house I average 25 psi BUT there are overnight spikes that reach 50psi - not an issue for me but if you have spikes above 100 psi it could be an issue for you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh, i do have a pressure reducer... what you're looking at is the city side. after the PRV i have it dialed down to 50 psi, but i might bump it up just a tad. just wondering what anyone thought about a city pressure which seems high to me.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
You are all set then.

some cities do boost up the pressure on the municipal lines to compensate for added housing. Not unusual at all.

The housing areas effected know and have installed prv's to remedy this. Such as in your case.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Calculate the differential water pressure of 2 residences 200 feet difference in elevation using a water tower supply with 27.28 inches being equal to 1 lb. and you may see why that high municipal water pressure needs to be that high in that area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts