DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been working on remodeling my kitchen in a building built in 1932. The back wall features a sleep porch that was enclosed in the 90's. The original masonry wall had a drywall material on it that was common, but I really know nothing about it. A pictures is below.

I noticed it sloughs off easily near the chimney, which I suspect is water getting in and weakening its grip to the brick/cinder block. I am curious, what do i need to do to put drywall back up, and provide protection from moisture? Masonry is, after all, a heavy sponge, what do i need to do to protect the finished wall material?

My original though was to put pt treated strips to isolate the wall board from the brick, but this also runs counter to having pt in a living space. ive been poking around online, but all my searches address more common issues,a and since i dont know what this stuff is i can't really tailor my search.

Attachments

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
Pictures to blurry to tell.
It would be common to see plaster used in a house that old.
Post a picture of the outside wall in that area.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pictures to blurry to tell.
It would be common to see plaster used in a house that old.
Post a picture of the outside wall in that area.
Sincere apologies regarding the pictures, my camera phone has really gone down hill.

The outside wall area there is the brick chimney (which is currently interior to the building since the back porches were closed in). The material i am asking about seems to be very sandy.

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
It could be what Oh'mike is describing or, since it's near a chimney and appears sandy, it could be deteriorated plaster. It's not unusual for plaster to absorb moisture from condensation in the chimney and gradually crumble into sand after a long period of time.

Reactions: oh'mike

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you are correct, it is indeed plaster. Now... though exposed brick is all the rage in this part of the land, i am curious how to properly build the wall back.

My concern is that since its an exterior wall, how do i account for the potential for moisture penetration?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.