DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one part of my back yard where I have this plant coming up.
Grows pretty quickly - what you see here is about a week.
Really thick stem -- in a week its about 5/16" diameter. But the stem breaks off real easy, so I just yank them.

Kind of a good looking plant actually, if it weren't coming up in my grass. But then again, thats what I thought of yellow nutsedge the first time I saw it.

So I am curious, what is this stuff ? I am in southern Ontario.

Weed 4.jpg weed 3.jpg Weed 1.jpg

·
Very Stable Genius
4,606 Posts
I'm not much for apps, but hear the apps (for smart phones) intended to id all
sorts of plants work well.
On a fairly big tangent, there's an app that id's songs. I've seen those correctly
id some obscure songs correctly.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't think its pigweed.

I would say that it's primary identifying features is the stems. They are thick in diameter -- can reach 5/16" diameter in a week. They break off easily, but are big enough that when you walk over the area, you can feel the remnants pushing up. Spreads underground. I could see a bit of the rhizome ?? system where it protruded beyond the fence --- I will bet I have a maze of 3/4" diameter or bigger rhizomes under that part of the lawn. Another identifying feature would be how quickly it grows -- yank it up and in 5 days it will have grown back to the same amount. I figure if I don't let it do its photosynthesis thing, sooner or later its going to die out, but I'm starting to wonder.

I tried roundup on the part sticking out past the fence --- hoping it would kill the whole plant. I didn't but I might have to try again -- maybe wiping the leaves.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
@SPS-1

Hmm dunno what that is!

Except an aggressive dicot, which can matter.

If you want to be rid of it, you can:

1. Pull it out and keep pulling it till it doesn’t sprout anymore.

2. Spray it with a solution of 2-4-D which kills dicots but not your grass. Undiluted 2-4-D likely will kill your grass or at least injure it.

3. Treat carefully with a dribble of undiluted glyphosate down each stem, particularly if you try no. 2 and it doesn’t work.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
2-4-D is not legal in Ontario, but glad you concur that pulling it will eventually stop it.
What is legal up there?

Pulling might test your stamina over the long haul. You might want to think about rooting out the rhizomes as best you can

·
Registered
Building my last home
694 Posts
Pull until you get a larger stem. Then cut it flat. Acquire 1" copper nails, not copper plated.
Pound copper nail into the center of the plant stock. It will take some time. I used this method against some Oleanders where the neighbor was anti using poison. Took about a year but I was destroying over 100 stocks.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is legal up there?
In Ontario, for homeowner cosmetic lawn control --- not much.

Scotts sells a home-owner version of Fiesta. Fiesta is basically just rusty water - no harsh chemicals. But it actually works very well on broadleaf weeds. Can work on stuff like clover too, but has a harder time, my guess because it has a harder time staying in the leaves.. But they know they got you by the short hairs, and they price it accordingly. For any of our Ontario residents -- its quite a bit cheaper if you have a pump sprayer and buy the concentrate.

Even glyphosate is semi-controlled. They keep it under lock and key and you have to ask for it.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
In Ontario, for homeowner cosmetic lawn control --- not much.

Scotts sells a home-owner version of Fiesta. Fiesta is basically just rusty water - no harsh chemicals. But it actually works very well on broadleaf weeds. Can work on stuff like clover too, but has a harder time, my guess because it has a harder time staying in the leaves.. But they know they got you by the short hairs, and they price it accordingly. For any of our Ontario residents -- its quite a bit cheaper if you have a pump sprayer and buy the concentrate.

Even glyphosate is semi-controlled. They keep it under lock and key and you have to ask for it.
Hmm.

I'd recommend getting some glyphosate, if you can. Get the 40% concentrate. If all you have to do is ask for it, then ask. If you have to get a permit, or jump through other hoops, I'm curious to know.

I'm pretty sure that whatever your weed is, it's not just recent seedlings, but instead appears to be regrowth from roots still in the ground from something that someone tried to remove before. If the area was sodded, you might just want to try picking up the sod and pulling the rhizomes out and putting the sod back.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
Don't think its pigweed.

I would say that it's primary identifying features is the stems. They are thick in diameter -- can reach 5/16" diameter in a week. They break off easily, but are big enough that when you walk over the area, you can feel the remnants pushing up. Spreads underground. I could see a bit of the rhizome ?? system where it protruded beyond the fence --- I will bet I have a maze of 3/4" diameter or bigger rhizomes under that part of the lawn. Another identifying feature would be how quickly it grows -- yank it up and in 5 days it will have grown back to the same amount. I figure if I don't let it do its photosynthesis thing, sooner or later its going to die out, but I'm starting to wonder.

I tried roundup on the part sticking out past the fence --- hoping it would kill the whole plant. I didn't but I might have to try again -- maybe wiping the leaves.
Pull until you get a larger stem. Then cut it flat. Acquire 1" copper nails, not copper plated.
Pound copper nail into the center of the plant stock. It will take some time. I used this method against some Oleanders where the neighbor was anti using poison. Took about a year but I was destroying over 100 stocks.
I've found the copper nail treatment to work best if you have one or two grand stems. When you have a lot, you need a lot of copper nails. In a situation like the oleanders, I'd have tried digging them out, though they can be really big sometimes. SW Dweller, if it did the job, still to the good!

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Japanese Knotweed

That is the identification from the County Conservation Authority biologist.
Very aggressive invasive species. Seems I am lucky I caught it early.

Going to try to get some professional help on this one.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
Japanese Knotweed

That is the identification from the County Conservation Authority biologist.
Very aggressive invasive species. Seems I am lucky I caught it early.

Going to try to get some professional help on this one.
Let us know what you do for future reference. Or what the pros do. I suspect they’ll have access to chemicals you won’t.

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suspect they’ll have access to chemicals you won’t.
Exactly. Although the interesting thing is that on the weekend I sprayed all the little sprouts that I could see, with the Scotts version of Fiesta. Seems to be effective.

First guys I called was one of the bigger outfits here The W$%% [email protected]#. Salesman on the other end of the phone tried selling me their standard monthly service. When I said Japanese Knotweed, he said "let me check with one of my techs". I think the other guy just shrugged his shoulder and the guy on the phone came back with "Sorry, we don't do Japanese Knotweed". I guess they are qualified to control dandelions.

I left a message for the next guys on the Weed Control list.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
Exactly. Although the interesting thing is that on the weekend I sprayed all the little sprouts that I could see, with the Scotts version of Fiesta. Seems to be effective.

First guys I called was one of the bigger outfits here The W$%% [email protected]#. Salesman on the other end of the phone tried selling me their standard monthly service. When I said Japanese Knotweed, he said "let me check with one of my techs". I think the other guy just shrugged his shoulder and the guy on the phone came back with "Sorry, we don't do Japanese Knotweed". I guess they are qualified to control dandelions.

The tech’s response indicates a bit of a battle.

Keep a close eye and the “dead” plants; really tough weeds can come back. Japanese Knotweed is tough, and I suspect the aggressive measures needed are unprofitable to the companies. you might want to consider getting in there and digging it out, unless you can get glyphosate to put on it. Trycofyr will also work I think (Ortho Brush B Gon).

·
Registered
21,218 Posts

I wonder if they can't guarantee their work with Japanese Knotwood? Take a look at the new thread on a weed in Georgia. Does it look like yours?

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just spend half an hour or so, pulling the stuff. It rained a couple of days ago, and that seems to encourage the growth. Rather humid today --- I was soaked when I finished.

I was initially pulling it every two or three of days, but I decided to let it grow a little more (use up some of those carbohydrates) before I pull it. So maybe every 5 - 7 days now. You would be amazed how much can grow in 5 days.

I sent an E-mail to the City if they can suggest how to dispose of the pullings. They said just put it out with your yard waste (City collects yard waste about once a month) and composts it. I think compost is commonly sterilized, but the thought of spreading this plant is real scary.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
I just spend half an hour or so, pulling the stuff. It rained a couple of days ago, and that seems to encourage the growth. Rather humid today --- I was soaked when I finished.

I was initially pulling it every two or three of days, but I decided to let it grow a little more (use up some of those carbohydrates) before I pull it. So maybe every 5 - 7 days now. You would be amazed how much can grow in 5 days.

I sent an E-mail to the City if they can suggest how to dispose of the pullings. They said just put it out with your yard waste (City collects yard waste about once a month) and composts it. I think compost is commonly sterilized, but the thought of spreading this plant is real scary.
I’d incinerate if you can.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts