DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What is this plastic latch/hinge called? Where can I buy it?

515 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  de-nagorg
Hey everyone,

I have recessed lighting in my basement. I bought a new light cover, but the springs aren't cooperating to keep the cover in place. My light cover looks like this:*Version*=1&*entries*=0

I am trying to think of a way to keep the lens in place, but still be able to remove the cover when needed to replace the light bulb. The only thing I can think of is this little plastic latch thing that is similarly used on my Ikea oven to keep the exhaust mesh in place. It looks like this:

Picture 1:
Picture 2:

Does anyone know what these white plastic things are called and where I can get them?

Or, does anyone have another idea of how I can keep this light cover in place, but also be able to remove the cover if needed?

1 - 2 of 5 Posts
Can you bend the uncooperative parts a little to persuade them to cooperate?

You might find something in the hardware department of a home center. They have lots of little drawers with many keepers for many things.

Look in your owners manual for the ikea item, for replacement parts, they do not need to know that you plan to use the keeper for something other that their unit.

  • Like
Reactions: 1
I read above that these have V springs to hold them up.

So are your springs wore out and won't hold, or maybe too small for the grooves they go in.

If too small can you insert some short sheet metal screws in the ends of the grooves, thusly making the groove shorter to better grip the spring.

1 - 2 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.