DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a home. It has a basement. In one closet there is a PVC pipe, capped off about 4 ft off the ground. The closet has an electrical outlet on the wall next to the pipe. The closet wall are all internal. Anyone have any ideas? See the picture attached.

Thanks - Drew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I would guess it might be for a radon system if it is needed. When I was in western NY one builder started putting them in just in case. It could also be for future plumbing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it may be that, but it would take a WHOLE LOT of work to put a pipe to evacuate externally without it being designed into the house originally.

Could it possible be a sump pump of some sort? Are there any that don't have to directly pump outside via an external wall?

- Drew

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
How old is the house? Could be a drain for a future bath upstairs---could be a stand pipe for a basement drain (I doubt that one)

Not likely a radon evacuation system--buy anything is possible.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
House was custom built in 2008. The closet is across the hall from an already finished bathroom in the basement. The rest of the basement is finished.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Do you live in an area that has Radon issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not that I know of. I've lived here my whole life and never seen a radon system in a house. That doesn't mean they don't exist here, but I just haven't seen any!

hmmmmmm... I'm perplexed!!

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Not that I know of. I've lived here my whole life and never seen a radon system in a house. That doesn't mean they don't exist here, but I just haven't seen any!

hmmmmmm... I'm perplexed!!
It would help if you mentioned where you live.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts