DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can help me by identifying what this pipe is (circled in each picture)?

It’s PVC and makes a 90 degree turn and goes up the wall – to where I have not looked. It is as it was when the old bathroom vanity was removed. I ask because I would like to cut if off flush with the wall – would save cutting on the back of the new vanity.

Thanks!
Vince

Attachments

·
Man of many hats
559 Posts
though either of the top posts might be correct, I think I would explore as to why it is there in the first place before I did anything. It must have been there for a reason at one time. Maybe a water supply to a fridge, who knows, but at least find out where it is going.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's a one owner home, so we know 25 year history of the house. Not a refrigerator or for AC condensation. Some kind of a vent maybe - but what would just vent into the room.

There is no odor, water drip, or appearance of past water on the pipe.

Guess I need to go for a crawl through the attic. Or just cut a hole in the vanity and live with the mystery. :huh:

·
Registered
292 Posts
crazy idea but could it just be a chase for running future wires or something??? Not too much use for 1" PVC. Condensate line was my first guess but it goes up to the attic, so that rules out anything draining from the bathroom...anything in the attic that would require a drain? If so, I would imagine that after 25 years you would have noticed some water =). Nothing else to do but crawl around the attic and find where the mystery pipe goes..

good luck!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today I investigated the attic. Contray to what I thought, it does not extend up through the top plate into the attic. I had removed only the bottom 4 feet of drywall and made the assumption it continued to the attic.

So the mystery remains... :huh:

Whatever it's purpose, is does not seem to have done anything overt during the past 25 years. I made the command decision to cut the pipe flush to the wall.

Thanks everyone for the help!

·
2 fingered typer
32 Posts
ONe last question?

What's on the wall behind this wall? Is there another room or is it an outside wall? This may provide your answer. :huh: bill

Today I investigated the attic. Contray to what I thought, it does not extend up through the top plate into the attic. I had removed only the bottom 4 feet of drywall and made the assumption it continued to the attic.

So the mystery remains... :huh:

Whatever it's purpose, is does not seem to have done anything overt during the past 25 years. I made the command decision to cut the pipe flush to the wall.

Thanks everyone for the help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts