DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came downstairs to a puddle on the floor and noticed this container on the side of our furnace was filled with water. It looks like the AC drain was routed through this out one point but since moved. Does anyone know what this is and why it might be filled with water?

Automotive tire Bumper Fixture Vehicle door Gas

·
Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
I agree with you, looks like an abandon condensation line at one time.

May just be a clogged in the condensation line and it's backing up and going out the point of least resistance.

Try cleaning the condensation line and see if that helps. Most of them are not glued, just take it apart and give it a good cleaning outside and put it back together again and see if that helps. Take a picture of it first before you take it apart so you know how to assemble it back together again. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,698 Posts
I am a bit confused with the picture, the majority of it looks like the condensate drain coming off the interior coil.
How ever the pvc not connected to the drain is confusing and may be a drain from another part of your equipment. My HE furnance has a drain and was a pain to get connected to the other drain when it was installed.

·
retired framer
53,832 Posts
At one time you had a drain and an overflow drain and now you just have one, so it is likely plugged and overflowing.

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Must have been the first day for the guy who plumbed that drain.

No trap, no cleanout. Once you get it unplugged, re-pipe it the correct way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That is your secondary heating system drain, You must have a 95% furnace (that is good) which drains condensation water into here in the winter time. You should connect this container to the AC drain pipe, not leave it open like that. Usually AC condensation water also goes to this container too, then go out all together, but yours is separated.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Must have been the first day for the guy who plumbed that drain.

No trap, no cleanout. Once you get it unplugged, re-pipe it the correct way.
It certainly doesn’t scream professional.

If it’s condensate from your secondary heat exchanger then it should be draining through a neutralizer before it goes to drain. You will need to add that.

·
Administrator
42,289 Posts
Looks like A/C was installed sometime after the furnace was installed. And they broke the furnace condensate drain, to pipe the A/Cs condensate drain to the floor drain. You'll need to redo the furnace drain.

Reactions: supers05 and SPS-1
1 - 8 of 8 Posts