DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing new age cabinets in my garage and there is a 4 in cement curb all the way around so I screw the cabinets into the wall and float them 4 inches off the floor. Where the garage has walls in common with the house this is fine but the walls that do not attach to the house (outside walls) there is an additional 3-4 inch lip above the cement curb. I think it is the sill plate. Instead of cutting Up the bottom of the cabinets I was going to trim the sill plate so it is flush with the wall. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? Or will it be OK? Thanks, Troy

Attachments

·
retired framer
39,792 Posts
I am installing new age cabinets in my garage and there is a 4 in cement curb all the way around so I screw the cabinets into the wall and float them 4 inches off the floor. Where the garage has walls in common with the house this is fine but the walls that do not attach to the house (outside walls) there is an additional 3-4 inch lip above the cement curb. I think it is the sill plate. Instead of cutting Up the bottom of the cabinets I was going to trim the sill plate so it is flush with the wall. Can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea? Or will it be OK? Thanks, Troy
That is the top of the foundation, The foundation is 8" thick and the wood wall is 4". The lip for the house is in the basement or craw;space..
I have cut the notch out of the back of the cupboard and box in the notch. some times you can just flip the parts over.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the foundation lip but then in the picture you can see the second lip. That is what I am trying to figure out

·
Hammered Thumb
2,961 Posts
The concrete looks painted black. The additional grey painted band I would investigate as it just may be some base added to hide something on top the stemwall.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I just had the floor done and walls painted. The black is the cement curb. The lip above the cement is what I would like to remove. I am pretty sure it is the sill plate as it is only on the outside walls. I am not sure if cutting the sill plate flush with the wall would be an issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts