DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Usually when I have to tie a rope to something I try to look smart and I pull out my old Boy Scout skills and try to tie a bowline or two half hitches. But in real life, it's usually upside-down and backwards and I screw it up. So either I make a big Frankenstein knot or it just takes way too long to tie. Either way I look like an idiot and that kinda defeats the whole purpose.

I saw a quick glimpse of this knot in a compilation video. It's really quick and easy. Anybody know what it's called?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Qb9_2KKIaBNSq8tRAOG2c2p5_sQFB2d/view?usp=drivesdk

·
Usually Confused
9,139 Posts
It looks like a bowline but he's finished it off with a slip loop so it can be collapsed quickly. Maybe useful for whatever purpose it's being used for but that type of modification makes any knot potentially unstable.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,130 Posts
I think it is called a Clove Hitch.

Used in the Cowboy world to tie his horse to a hitchin post, or a tree, or other solid object, so the horse don't wander away.

ED

I'll check and report back.

Well scratch that, it ain't one of those.

But I use it often when I am tying down something.

·
Usually Confused
9,139 Posts
I think it is a truckers knot. Many years ago the people that made molding would tie bundles with that knot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnlaQHIoCs8

I don't think so, Neal. The knot she is using quickly comes apart, but the initial loop knot is still intact. In the OP link, the whole thing collapses.

They again, I never did much time in Scouts. When I took marine training, our instructor said 'if you can't make them pretty, make them lots'; basically meaning that for most day-to-day boating uses, if you intertwine a rope on itself enough times, it will generally hold. Might be a bugger to untie but it will hold.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Damn, I like that truckers hitch. I have been doing something similar, sometimes with success and sometimes without, for a long time. Now I know how to repeat it successfully.

And she makes it look so easy.

Reactions: Nealtw

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Reactions: de-nagorg
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.