DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Charles, Where are you? (state /mountains/desert?)

That looks rather like a dried fungus---hard to tell from the picture.

·
Usually Confused
9,162 Posts
Nope: The only ones that I was aware of do not even appear appetizing.

Of course some cultures eat slimy snails too, but they look disgusting.

ED
Yup - with you on shellfish. Large edible puffballs can be panfired and they're kinda like mushrooms but firmer and with more flavour but they have to be picked at just the right time. Same as fiddlehead ferns. Maybe a weird northern thing. Like our 'beavertails' - kinda like a flat donut (I've also had real beavertail - no rude comments please)

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Yup - with you on shellfish. Large edible puffballs can be panfired and they're kinda like mushrooms but firmer and with more flavour but they have to be picked at just the right time. Same as fiddlehead ferns. Maybe a weird northern thing. Like our 'beavertails' - kinda like a flat donut (I've also had real beavertail - no rude comments please)
I've heard that they are edible--but I'm surprised to hear that they taste good.

Some years I get a lot of them in my yard---I might just try eating one.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
My older brother is a mushroom hunter---and I was once good at tracking down edible wild foods---one thing I learned (the hard way) is that 'edible' and 'tasty' are not the same---
I've tasted more gross plants the were listed as 'edible'--

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
I once let a Cute Waitress talk me into eating Oysters, Dang if I wanted to eat mud, it would have been cheaper to go down to the creek.

Tried Squid once too, more like chewing on an inner tube, than food.

Bull Fries ain't bad if you don't think too much about it.

ED

·
Registered
26,750 Posts
I once let a Cute Waitress talk me into eating Oysters, Dang if I wanted to eat mud, it would have been cheaper to go down to the creek.

Tried Squid once too, more like chewing on an inner tube, than food.

Bull Fries ain't bad if you don't think too much about it.

ED
Don't eat the stomach :wink2:Try smoked oysters for a start. Btw, she was hitting on you :}

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
this is one of the funniest posts Ive read in a long time...here's a link to a story on puffballs that fits perfectly w this post. Here's the beginning of the post:

"A puffball was the first wild mushroom I ever tried in the summer of 1973. I had heard of a rule about puffballs while at a party held by my art professor. In attendance were..."

http://mushroom-collecting.com/mushroompuffball.html

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.