DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I uncovered the plate in my bathroom to paint the walls and I am curious to what this is for.
I have one outlet on the opposite wall. This box is right above the light switch on the other side of the wall. I'm not sure but the wires don't seem to look like the wires in the other outlet. Could it be for another outlet?

I hope I don't sound too stupid. :eek:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It may at one time have been a light fixture (depending on the height), or a receptacle that was removed. Unless there's a problem, it shouldn't be of any concern. The cover should be blank, with no opening.

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
Whatever it was the box was overfilled.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
It's like Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome in reverse... 1 goes in, 2 come out.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
AirheadAnnie said:
What do you mean by overfilled?

I thought if the wiring was correct for another outlet, I would put one in.
He means both that it's 'overfilled' and that there's no way on earth you could wedge an outlet in there.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
What do you mean by overfilled?

I thought if the wiring was correct for another outlet, I would put one in.
The box is not deep enough for the amount of wires in it. It is called "Box Fill" and is covered by Code.

If you wanted to put in a receptacle, you'd have to pull that box out, and get a deeper box to put in.

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
there are rules ad to how many wires you can cram in a certain size box, etc.

the solution (should you choose not to just ignore it) would be to install a extension ring, it would stick out a way from the wall a bit.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
there are rules ad to how many wires you can cram in a certain size box, etc.

the solution (should you choose not to just ignore it) would be to install a extension ring, it would stick out a way from the wall a bit.
If those wires are #12, is my calculation correct yielding 18 cu. in.? I did not include the wire nuts; is that an error?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
The box is not deep enough for the amount of wires in it. It is called "Box Fill" and is covered by Code.

If you wanted to put in a receptacle, you'd have to pull that box out, and get a deeper box to put in.
I am going to take a stab, the box & wall appears to be the same age that is in my house (pre-1940's). The box in the bathroom before we renovated had three armored cable in it, and same with the back bedroom & living room. I would say time to either pull out the one wire after finding out where it goes, or get a bigger box.

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
been playing with it a lot on the current job IRL. TW is thicker than THHN by almost 2x, It is a much older insulation type, not seen to much in new work.

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
That box volume might be as low as 7.5 cubic inches. Each #14 requires 2 cubic inches. Currently there are 6 conductors in that box for a minimum capacity of 12 ci. Add a device and the box would need to be 16 ci minimum.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
That box volume might be as low as 7.5 cubic inches. Each #14 requires 2 cubic inches. Currently there are 7 conductors in that box for a minimum capacity of 14 ci. Add a device and the box would need to be 18 ci minimum.
I see 3, 2 conductor romex cables entering that box and no grounds in the romex.
Where is the seventh conductor?
i would call that box a 'Handi-Box' and 15 years ago (I've been retired 15 years) seven conductors would have been acceptable.
Has this since been revised?

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
I didn't look at the pic again, but did remember 3 xx-2 cables so i automatically added the ground for the seventh. I don't use handy boxes and went with the code minimum allowance of 7.5 ci. just to show how much too small it could be.

Reactions: Wildie

·
Super Moderator
15,356 Posts
Early versions of NM had insulation that was thick like TW.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts