DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a row house in Baltimore, MD. I have been tracing things around in the basement and I found this hidden underneath the floor. It was very near the backdoor of my home. What is it?

It has two sets of wires connected to it. One twisted pair(power?) and one ground. I haven't traced the twisted pair back to see where it comes from.

What is this device?

·
Power Gen/RS Engineer
785 Posts
It's old telephone equipment. I'm not sure if it's some form of transformer or surge device. I have one in my house as well although it is no longer in use. Note the twisted wiring? That was what they used to use for inside/premises wiring.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's old telephone equipment. I'm not sure if it's some form of transformer or surge device. I have one in my house as well although it is no longer in use. Note the twisted wiring? That was what they used to use for inside/premises wiring.

Yeah I thought it might have had something to do with telephone. This is where the main phone line came in. I need to trace that twisted pair and see where it goes, I thought I ripped all that stuff out.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
That's an old phone protector.
If you've ripped all the old wiring out I'd have the Telco come out an put in a new NIB (network interface box).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts