DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a Google search and most sites said eggshell. I found that most paint brands don't sell exterior egg shell. They do sell low luster and satin. I just can't decide which to get. Any advice ?

·
retired painter
13,160 Posts
There isn't an industry standard for sheens and how they are labeled. One brand [or even line] of paint may have a satin [or whatever sheen] that is shinier or duller than the other. The type of surface the paint is being applied to will also affect how you perceive the sheen. There is no right/wrong choice when choosing sheens that are close to each other.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Unless specifically requested, I usually go semi-gloss on the trim, doors, etc, and if siding is involved a lower sheen on the siding, satin. Some product lines don't offer semi-gloss, in that case gloss will do on the trim.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Its a personal preference and all, but I think semigloss on exterior trim doesnt look good, and almost all the houses I've ever seen have the same sheen as the body on the trim, with the exception of the front door. But, its a personal preference, like I said.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Maybe it's a regional thing, but the majority of repaints around here, the previous exterior trim coating is semi-gloss. It's going to shed dirt and so forth better than a lesser sheen, and easier to clean in the future, imo. Then there may be railings, threshholds, and things like that, which would be better suited for a semi-gloss finish. Whether it's a matter of convenience for the painter, or a consideration to have a consistent finish throughout, semi-gloss seems a logical choice. It actually surprises me to see as many suggestions for a satin on exterior trim as I am seeing here.

Whatever the case, please, no high gloss. Now that looks bad, in or out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.