DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to remodel my bathroom. Part of the remodel will require me taking up the ceramic tile floor. The ceramic tiles were installed over an asbestos tile floor. Under the asbestos tile is the house's concrete slab. I want to remove both the ceramic and asbestos tiles.

The main reason for removing both layers of tiles is that I will be expanding the size of the bathroom as a part of the project. The expansion will take some room from an adjacent bedroom. The bedroom has a wooden parkay floor. I will be removing that down to the concrete as well.

Any thoughts on how to proceed safely and efficiently would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Those should pop right off with a chisel and a hammer--

If you suspect asbestos--keep the floor wet while you work--the dust can be a problem--wet there will be no dust.

the ceramic will not be bonded very well to the old VCT tile---you might need to smash one to be able to get your chisel under a tile---

Reactions: FZR

·
Banned
51 Posts
Cover everything that you care about in your house with sheets and un-decorate everything in the close vecinity.
Hit the tile with a sledge hammer at a slight angle.
Remove the tile from the edges of the room.
Clean up your broken tile
Use your hammer drill/chisel to scrape off the thin set.
Make one last pass with the hammer drill
Smooth the floor with the floor scraper.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Safely requires dealing with the asbestos . Normally asbestos floor tile requires isolating the room, controlling the fibers etc. it is not the most hazardous removal but local regulation come into play. While I believe I can remove it myself in my location, I probably wouldn't,. In my area it must be disposed of at licensed disposal facility and in your case that would include all the concrete fro the tile as it will also be contaminated .

·
Registered
477 Posts
The ceramic tiles were installed over an asbestos tile floor.

Any thoughts on how to proceed safely and efficiently would be appreciated. Thank you.

WHOA. Stop! Please (kindly) ignore any advice which teats this as a routine floor tile, needing only to be removed.

I'm assuming this tile is VAT, or vinyl asbestos tile? The top layer of tile (your present finished floor) was installed over the asbestos tile as a means of containment. This is a common treatment if asbestos is present. Removal of asbestos tile should only be handled by professionals certified in asbestos remediation.

This is not a DIY job if you value your health, the health of anyone living with you, and the health of those living in the building in the future. (Once asbestos fibers contaminate a building it will be present for a VERY long time.) I strongly recommend you look into a professional asbestos remediation company. Talk to OSHA before you proceed, and do some research.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
WHOA. Stop! Please (kindly) ignore any advice which teats this as a routine floor tile, needing only to be removed.

I'm assuming this tile is VAT, or vinyl asbestos tile? The top layer of tile (your present finished floor) was installed over the asbestos tile as a means of containment. This is a common treatment if asbestos is present. Removal of asbestos tile should only be handled by professionals certified in asbestos remediation.

This is not a DIY job if you value your health, the health of anyone living with you, and the health of those living in the building in the future. (Once asbestos fibers contaminate a building it will be present for a VERY long time.) I strongly recommend you look into a professional asbestos remediation company. Talk to OSHA before you proceed, and do some research.
:laughing::laughing::laughing: BS

for one, the tile was put down to male the room look nicer. NOT to contain the asbestos .

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Cover everything that you care about in your house with sheets and un-decorate everything in the close vecinity.

i just removed tiles on cement board on wood floor. kind of a pita. what i did = sscrew 2x4's to the ceiling around the work area. the staple plastic sheeting to the 2x4's. then have a fan in the window blowing out. works well. ymmv

·
Registered
477 Posts
:laughing::laughing::laughing: BS

for one, the tile was put down to male the room look nicer. NOT to contain the asbestos .
You do understand that the reason for putting down NEW tile isn't the same as the reason for NOT TAKING UP THE OLD TILE, right? Why wouldn't they just remove the old asbestos tile before putting down the new tile? Vinyl is far from an ideal substrate, so no one would leave it by choice if they want to be sure the tile bonds. The reason, containment, not hiring an abatement company, not disturbing the asbestos material.

This is from the EPA: If it is undisturbed, and in good condition, "LEAVE IT." http://www2.epa.gov/asbestos/protect-your-family#whattodo

In other words, "tile over it."

Fix'n it: Do some research before you hand out irresponsible advice.

To the OP: If it were my lungs, I hire an abatement professional. (Mine get irritated by sanding dust.) It comes down to whether it is "friable" or non-friable. However, if the tile is damaged during the removal that's another matter. (Which, if you've ever removed vinyl tile, you know some of them will break, depending on how old, brittle, etc.)

Check state and federal regulations. Tiling it over may not be an option on the second go-around, depending on what they did to adhere to the vinyl.

This is from Environmental Quality in Oregon: http://www.deq.state.or.us/aq/asbestos/docs/Asbflr.pdf
If that looks fun, go for it.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts

I believe this would be called the, "Chicken Little" approach.
This is a small, easily controlled job that can be done by a homeowner taking due diligence.
I don't think we need to go to, "Devcon 4", to accomplish it.

Reactions: Gymschu and oh'mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
I believe this would be called the, "Chicken Little" approach.
This is a small, easily controlled job that can be done by a homeowner taking due diligence.
I don't think we need to go to, "Devcon 4", to accomplish it.

The OP asked "how to proceed safely and efficiently." Explain how "due diligence" is to ignore safety protocols? That's a misuse of the term diligence. It is, of course, your choice to be careless.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Safe removal of asbestos by a home owner is done every day--every state publishes removal instructions along with proper disposal ---

Airborne dust is the concern---it is not a poison---read your states instructions--keep the tiles wet --use a hepa vacuum ---double bag the debris---

Reactions: Gymschu

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
You do understand that the reason for putting down NEW tile isn't the same as the reason for NOT TAKING UP THE OLD TILE, right? Why wouldn't they just remove the old asbestos tile before putting down the new tile? Vinyl is far from an ideal substrate, so no one would leave it by choice if they want to be sure the tile bonds. The reason, containment, not hiring an abatement company, not disturbing the asbestos material.

Fix'n it: Do some research before you hand out irresponsible advice.
you, sir, do not know much about the typical DIY'rs motivations. most of them don't know enough to care about doing it right. they THINK they do, but they don't. i live between 2 of them. i try to advice one of them, its a waist of time.

me, do research ? :laughing: i have been on DIY www.'s for over 15 years
DOING MY RESEARCH.

my mom had a cousin that died from asbestos. she worked in an asbestos factory. took over 15 years for it to take her. and your all freaked out by a few tiles :laughing:

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Do yourself a favor and rent one of these..

If you have any concerns, wet the floor not flood it. Bag it in contractor bags and haul it to the dump.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Removing tile isn’t an easy project.Be sure to protect yourself during the battle - wear safety glasses, preferably leather gloves.

Follow these steps for take up a tile floor:

- Break up the first tile by hitting it in the center with a hammer
- Place the cold chisel in the grout line at the edge of the tile and start chipping it out.
- Start breaking up several tiles at a time and removing them with the floor scraper.
- Remove the mortar from the underlayment by hammering on a 2- to 3-foot-square section of the floor to smash up the remaining mortar, and then use the floor scraper to scrape the broken pieces of mortar off the underlayment.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
my tile was on cement board, on wood subfloor. the tile thinset was so stuck to the CB that the screws could not be seen. i ended up using 2 pickax's, the flat side, to get up under the CB and pry it up, tile and all.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts