DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
DIY
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is common practice or code when running new electrical lines in a home(15 amp/20 amp) in a basement that feed up to the 1st and 2nd floor of a home?

Is there a rule on how many wires can be run down the same floor joist overhead? In other words, If I need to run 10 new 15amp/20amp lines, can they bunched together and secured to the floor joist overheat safely, or is there a rule on how many can be together? And what is the rule if these wires need to cross a metal gas line?

·
Super Moderator
17,056 Posts
Small cables like that need to go through bored holes,or be on running boards.

There is no issue with touching the gas line..

·
Registered
20 Posts
What is common practice or code when running new electrical lines in a home(15 amp/20 amp) in a basement that feed up to the 1st and 2nd floor of a home?

Is there a rule on how many wires can be run down the same floor joist overhead? In other words, If I need to run 10 new 15amp/20amp lines, can they bunched together and secured to the floor joist overheat safely, or is there a rule on how many can be together? And what is the rule if these wires need to cross a metal gas line?
When you say "run down the same floor joist", I assume you mean running parallel to the joist, right? I don't think running boards or bored holes apply here... if they're running perpendicular to the floor joist, then Jim Port is correct.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.