DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what sweat/solder in ball valve is well made, will not leak & will last?

Does not seem like many use Nibco - which everyplace seems to sell. Based on research some of the brands used by licensed/professional plumbers is Apollo and Red & White.

Also, refuse to buy any made in China (especially China), South Korea & Mexico - this severely limits what is available.

Thanks, Rob

·
1,233 Posts
Wow...you're not asking for much are you?

I can't think of one that will fit your needs and would suggest you head to the local plumb supply shop and start your quest. I'm guessing you've already exhausted the obvious at the big stores? I don't recall the brand of valves I purchased from Lowes...but they're 1/4 turn solid brass, they had a green label...and they are well made. Out of 20 or so that I installed one leaked from the seal between the handle and ball. Called the company, they sent a replacement plus 3 others...

Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really looking for something decent not made in China, etc. - yeah, I know, good luck. After the China drywall issues, lead in toys, dog food, etc. I am trying diligently to buy stuff made in USA, or at least a country that seems to have some manufacturing credibility, but it seems to be more & more futile each day.

These valves are going in 3/4" lines that are going to supply water from basement 1" main line for a 2nd floor ½ bath & new full bath. They are going to be in basement after 1" x 1" x 3/4" reducing tee before the pipe heads to 2nd floor. They will have the drain on them. This way if anything goes wrong with any 2nd floor plumbing it can be shut off & drained in basement. By isolating 2nd floor if there are problems with it we can still use plumbing (i.e. bath, kitchen, laundry, etc) on 1st floor and in basement.

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts