DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the midwest and spring will be coming soon. I've lived in this house a little over a year so through every season. Through the spring of last year I was trying to fill in some bare spots and thicken up the lawn in spots where there's grass but since it's not very dense those areas tend to get muddy or get mashed down easily. I've had good luck with some Scott's Patch Filler that's kind of this moisture absorbing seed and fertilizer mix. But for getting the lawn to come in thicker I didn't have much luck. In my last house that was in a harder clay like kind of area I had just used general Scott's Turf Builder and it had worked really well. But here, I have really moist soil and a this whispy fescue grass. I like the fescue, but when I used Scott's Turf Builder last spring it didn't really thicken the grass at all and actually gave me a bunch of chickweed and clover that I then had to combat. I'm not a yard perfectionist but as someone who mows it and who has kids with it being kind of a moisture retaining yard with probably 70% of the yard being kind of thin it makes it so wear patterns develop easily, just pushing my daughter on the swing can make for a matted muddy patch where I was standing, etc. It just doesn't stand up well to a lot of use, let alone if we got a dog or something. So I'm hoping to keep the fescue because it's so nice to walk on, but find a way to get it grow in denser so there's a better ratio of grass to dirt. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
In NY I use a mixture of fescue, bluegrass and a little ryegrass, usually from Tractor Supply. They each have separate vulnerabilities and strengths, so my lawn does well under most weather conditions. If one variety does poorly, another might do well.
Given enough nitrogen fertilizer you can grow grass on a rock.
I would scratch the thin spots with a stiff rake, overseed it with a mixture of seed varieties, fertilize it and keep it damp. And do it before mid May.

·
Registered
13,643 Posts
@bluegrassliving, how about a picture or two, if you can? I know it's still early up where you are. Though I'm in California now, I used to live in Northeastern Ohio, so I'm familiar with the conditions you have, at least climactically.

Sounds like you may have any or all of a number of issues: (a) your lawn may not get enough sun, i.e., less than half a day's direct sunlight; (b) you may have boggy conditions, everywhere or in spots; or (c) excessively dry conditions, everywhere or in spots.

Dry can be a problem if your yard is in an area near the lakes which sometimes contain ancient beaches that drain super quickly. We have a few places in Lake County Ohio that had that problem, no matter how much it rained everything dried up because the water ran through.

Do you have weeds that seem to like to take over the lawn, or particular spots in it? Sometimes they can provide clues too.

It's early, but as @Old Thomas notes, don't wait too long.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts