DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, long time DIY guy here but this is my first post. I have a leak where the water service enters my house, I have no idea what kind of fitting this is though. Kinda looks like a flare but I'm not 100%.

I tried to tighten it but it won't budge and I didn't want to put too much pressure on and break something with the water service on!

Any thoughts?

Automotive tire Gas Tree Human leg Art

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,065 Posts
Looks like a flared fitting for copper pipe.

Also it looks like dissimilar metals which is never a good idea for longevity. Hard to tell with the corrosion from the elements.

Hint you really should get rid of the gate valve and put in a ball valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've re plumbed about 90% of this house, everything gets a ball valve so I was planning on that.

I may just get a plumber in to address it, trying to find time where I can shut water off, take it apart, figure out what it is, and get new stuff is going to be hard.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
You should be able to hold the fitting above while first loosening then tightening the flare fitting. ID have a street shutoff rod handy in case you break it off altogether cuz you will have a flood.

·
Contractor/Engineer
2,427 Posts
You may find that compression fitting in with the gas connections...

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Back in Illinois, there was a fitting to connect the copper to the valve which was. under my house.
Only the water department had those fittings.
If you can get on yourself then they can't charge you to repair it.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
You should get a hold of your water company and explain what you have going on. In order to shut that off and make a repair, you will need to kill the meter and most water companies don't like you doing that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should get a hold of your water company and explain what you have going on. In order to shut that off and make a repair, you will need to kill the meter and most water companies don't like you doing that.
I had one plumber tell me the same, water co does not like them shutting off. Hard trying to coordinate shutting off with 5 people in the house! Will follow up on this thread once I find out what it is.

·
Premium Member
12,452 Posts
I had one plumber tell me the same, water co does not like them shutting off. Hard trying to coordinate shutting off with 5 people in the house! Will follow up on this thread once I find out what it is.
LOL, Try scheduling a shut down on a building with 20 businesses.

Reactions: jayrodoh
1 - 14 of 14 Posts