DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I'm (still) remodeling the kitchen and I going to build an island to match or compliment the existing kitchen cabinets.

The cabinet drawers are made from 1/2" plywood like this and I would like to use the same stock for the island drawers that I will build.

My local Orange Box store doesn't have anything close to this so I am going to hit a real lumberyard on my next trip into the Big City.

Does this kind of plywood have a fancy or official name, or do I just ask for 1/2" 9-layer plywood? (I'm assuming it's birch).

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Alternative, when I am doing cabinets or the like I go to the local PLYWOOD store. In my case, cambio plywood in Cranston ri, which is where local cabinet makers and the like buy their materials. Must be one like it out near you all. Ron

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
Often just called cabinet ply in 1/2 or 3/4 and wood of top ply.... Birch least expensive and used for drawers or paint grade.

I have to go to a specialty yard for 1/2 or 3/8 also.

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
The boxes can be made out of any secondary wood, even 1 X pine would work.
Someone had to have some scrapes of that multi ply to use up.
Why else would they have used that expencive material and then counted on that weak type of joint?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I built some cabinets for my mom's kitchen. She is tickled to have some extra storage and she doesn't have to get on her knees and dig for her pots and pans any more.

I used white pine from the big box store and assembled the pieces with simple rabbet joints and glue...and a few nails. They will be there until the cows come home. :eek:

Note: I had a little help with the drawer assembly. :thumbsup:

Other times I have used maple and poplar, planed the material to 5/8 inch for the drawer stock. I cut half blind dovetails for the front and a simple dado for the rear.

That makes the drawer look like a real drawer and not just plywood. (Just my way of thinking).

Attachments

·
Registered
10,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The boxes can be made out of any secondary wood, even 1 X pine would work.
Someone had to have some scrapes of that multi ply to use up.
Why else would they have used that expencive material and then counted on that weak type of joint?
These cabinets were custom-made 30+ years ago when the house was built, so who knows why they were built that way. I sure don't know what kind of glue they used, but all the butt joints (there are six drawers) are still rock-solid strong, though the plywood is just starting to separate a hair where the brads or maybe they're just small finish nails were nailed

Note: there is a dado along the sides of the drawer box and 1/4" hardboard is in place for the drawer bottoms.

·
Registered
737 Posts
These cabinets were custom-made 30+ years ago when the house was built, so who knows why they were built that way. I sure don't know what kind of glue they used, but all the butt joints (there are six drawers) are still rock-solid strong, though the plywood is just starting to separate a hair where the brads or maybe they're just small finish nails were nailed

Note: there is a dado along the sides of the drawer box and 1/4" hardboard is in place for the drawer bottoms.
30 years sounds like my work bench drawers. I built them in 1988 using 3/4 white pine, Elmer's glue and some finishing nails. I tore the bench down last year and had to beat the drawers apart with a shop hammer. They have been filled with clamps, tools and everything else you could think of for all those years. I salvaged the wood and built more drawers for the new work bench. :yes:

Here are the drawers I built for the new work bench. Two of the drawers are filled once again with clamps! :thumbsup:

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts