DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me identify what is happening in my lawn.

It is in the shade most of the time (you'll notice a lot of moss in there). Just thought I'd mention.

In the summer at night, slugs are a common sight.

Lawn is all lumpy. Looks like little piles of poop, but I'm pretty sure it's made of soil, and not poop.

And there are holes. Sometimes bigger ones (I assume the big ones are animals digging at night. Skunks and raccoons have been seen. But not to the point where we have to protect garbage barrels. They just show up now and then.) But most the time smaller holes, don't look like they go very deep.

I live north of Boston, on the coast.

Here are some pictures.

Thank you all very much!

imgur.com/6haNkJA

imgur.com/iPd8lnK

imgur.com/9vm46be

imgur.com/YlQHKqc

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm a new user so I can't post full HTTP links. But if you copy and paste the address I put up, you should be able to see the pics.

That would actually be cool if it was crayfish! But I don't think so. The piles that I am finding are not nearly that tall or cool looking. They are much smaller little piles.

Thank you though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all very much for the information. I do live in a partial basement, and this lawn is ground level for half the apartment. The house is built into a hill and as you go in, the more basement-y it becomes.

I mention this because we have had some issues here, and wondering if it may relate to the lawn.

We have silverfish. Big 'uns. We've had a mouse, or rather, a rat get into our wall, where he died. Oh the smell and the files! But that was only once. And I've never seen any other rat and or mice issues.

Would silverfish make that kind of damage to a lawn? How about slugs?

And lastly, the earthworms that were mentioned. After a summer storm we do get a lot of them. And my neighbor is always hunting them down in his yard. I never knew earthworms could be a bad thing!

Thanks again to everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts