DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Yup! But unfortunately CR puts too much weight on surface price of things and factors that in. So the paint can be crap but because it is cheap, CS ups its rating.

But then, if people do not want to listen to people who do, or did, paint for a living and see CS as some sort of biblical reference? The deserve what they get.
That's the stupidest thing I've read today.
Interesting that you seem to know the inner workings of Consumers Reports and how and why they rate things.
Also a pile of crap.
If you get a bad result from the paint, it's due to operator incompetance, not the product.

·
JOATMON
16,134 Posts
I won't jump on the Behr bash bandwagan....never had an issue....

But my first thought....did they use the right base? It's not unusual for them to grab the wrong can of base when they go to mix it....easy mistake to make.

I know a lot of people also slam Kilz....but once again, it has worked for me....no issues.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I know a lot of people also slam Kilz....but once again, it has worked for me....no issues.
Many people use the wrong product for their application and blame the product for not working properly.
Most times, it's operator error.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Marketing and volume. They sell enough to DIYers that do not know any better to make up the losses they incur by having people complain and return cans of the crap.
SOME people can get *almost* decent results (under ideal conditions) with this garbage, but most pros avoid it like the plague.

DM

I have only used Bahr paint from Home Depot one time in my sunroom and the covering ability was absolutely horrible. I swore that I would never use Behr paint again, and I have not.

I usually use Sherwin Williams and have been satisfield with SW paint except only one time and that was recently.
I used their WoodScapes Fence semi-transparent stain and sprayed it on 200 feet of wood fence that had not been previously painted. I had to use 14 gallon to do the job and had to paint it 3 coats the last one being with a brush. When you started out it was fine but the farther you went down the fence the lighter the shade became. It acted like the pigment was not right. After buying it to do it the second time, I had the Manager come out and look at it and he said it was fine. Well I told him it was not fine to me or anyone else that looked at the fence. He gave me enough stain to do it the third time. That time I brushed it on and it was fine.

Needless to say I will not use WoodScapes when I repaint it next time.

Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've read the rest of the posts above. It's only an 8x9 area. Anyone know what a quart of BM Neon Green will cost me? Helm paint carries it in my area and they are closed today. Course I could call em tomorrow, but I'm curious. The Aura gallon size is 64 bucks. I could not afford that unless I robbed a bank

Primer. Would I have to re-primer this wall? I hope not, now that I have primer and a coat of paint on it - If I have to buy more paint to fix this, I'm hoping a quart will cover well enough to give me two coats and cover well while not letting the old color bleed through.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
You know, I love Aura but this is not a wall you are going to be washing or anything. I would think about stepping down to the contractor grades of good paint. Super Spec in the Ben Moore line and Pro-Mar at Sherwin Williams---for examples. Only sold in gallons but will be around the same price as a quart of Aura. Cans are not as pretty.

Super Spec (may have been renamed---sort of out of the business and have not bought any in awhile) comes in different sheens but not as many as Aura. Ask for a discount or check someplace like www.couponcabin.com to see if there are running coupons. The contractor grades have more vinyl and less acrylic than the high end. They are still much better paints than Behr and competitive in price.

From experience, as careful as you try to be, you are going to scuff that "green screen" and want an adequate amount for touch ups or to redo it when the UV rays from the studio lights starts to fade it.

Did a green screen for a kids museum and it needed repainting every other day it seemed. Amazing what slimey, destructive little maniacs "The Future Famous" can do when running in a pack. Aura would have been expensive overkill. I have done others for tv stations and video studios. I did a lot of painting for art galleries and we had a problem with lights fading the paint over time in the more permanent galleries and in one space the exhibitions rotated so walls had to be painted or touched up every month. The client wanted to use Pro-Mar and it worked well and is equally great paint.

You just have to accept they are going to need a coat of paint periodically. I know you are trying to save money but a quart is not going to take you very far.

I would not worry about repriming. Do remember, 3/8 or even 1/2 roller cover.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've read the rest of the posts above. It's only an 8x9 area. Anyone know what a quart of BM Neon Green will cost me? Helm paint carries it in my area and they are closed today. Course I could call em tomorrow, but I'm curious. The Aura gallon size is 64 bucks. I could not afford that unless I robbed a bank

Primer. Would I have to re-primer this wall? I hope not, now that I have primer and a coat of paint on it - If I have to buy more paint to fix this, I'm hoping a quart will cover well enough to give me two coats and cover well while not letting the old color bleed through.
I'm a little puzzled...you're using this for video production and testing it with a sophisticated software, yet you can't afford a gallon of decent paint? Get quart of decent paint and be done with it.

And as far as green screen effects go, so long at the color field is consistent you should be fine. That means flat and even. You should be able to key in to the specific color you want to drop out from your video frame by simply sampling the color in software. The reason electric green is used is the simple fact that it is a color you rarely see in the real world...you can drop it all out from a video frame and not drop out part of your foreground subject matter. At least that's how it works in software that I have used.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
how about returning your behr paint for a refund...and start over with benjamin moore....or sherwin williams...you will get a much better JOB...... color match no problem....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Home Depot will cheerfully refund your money if you tell them you are not satisfied with the outcome of the paint.

I take things back to HD and Lowes all the time. That is why I shop there.
Tom

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I'm a little puzzled...you're using this for video production and testing it with a sophisticated software, yet you can't afford a gallon of decent paint? Get quart of decent paint and be done with it.
"I" didn't test it with thousand dollar software, other people did. I can hardly afford to pay attention. I'm on a very tight budget. The editing software I'm using is free. The camera is a cheap but HD record quality webcam (40 bucks) and that was a gift. It takes everything I make a month to pay my bills and have the necessities we need like food and electronic cigarettes. I'm actually a little better off now than when I smoked the regular cigs because electronic cigarettes are so much cheaper, but it would still take me several months to save up for a whole gallon of 64 dollar paint.

BTW folks, the e-cigs work. They give me the nicotine I need without all the harm of smoking burning tobacco, so if you smoke and cannot quit any other way, try em, they may save your life.

~~~~~~~~~

I can return the unused portion of Behr huh.. cool.. that will work. I can use that to go towards better paint, it would be a big help. Didn't know they would refund after half the can was used.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just hold your own with them and insist that they refund you under their Satisfaction guarantee or your money back guarantee. It works, I have used it several timesl.
Don't give in insist you get your money back under the satisfaction guarantee.

Tom

·
Registered
617 Posts
Paint is paint because of the solids left behind after the liquids dry----

Good paints run around 54% solids----Behr has a solids count in the high 20%s

The Chevy Cavilare is one of the biggest selling cars---they sell many more than BMW----this fact does not make the Chevy the better car.
They also stopped making them six years ago-- probably for a reason.

·
Don't WANNA do it myself
636 Posts
What you are doing is called "chroma key" and if the video editing software is as sophisticated as you are saying, then any color can be used. It does NOT have to match anything else. The reason that weird shade of green is usually used is because there is very little in most scenes that is that color. When there is a lot of light green, blue chroma key is used. Over time, that paint is going to fade, and that will be another issue which is why paper or cloth is usually used in a smaller studio setting.

The editing software should have a calibrating tool for the green, infact it has to, or any difference in your lighting will render the color replacement useless. That green under different temperatures of light will be very different, so if the editing software can't adjust, then it assumes that everyone has identical lights at identical temperatures and identical intensity and no gells or lighting effects are being used.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Personally, I would prime it again, and buy another paint.

BTW, at a place like BM you do not have to buy the high end, most expensive paint in the place.

If you do proper prep work and application, their contractor grade paint is quite good for a typical repaint. The price is reasonable.

People have to remember that it is worth spending more money initially on paint, because a cheaper paint will take more time to cover, probably won't last as long, and I doubt will look as good.

I have used behr in the past, and while it has never "failed" on me, I find products from the traditional "paint stores" like SW and BM much easier to paint with, better coverage, and a much better finished product.

I will not paint anybody elses property with Behr paint, as I guarantee my work and cannot guarantee a quality result with behr paint, as I can with mid or high end range paint from BM.

just my 2 cents, from pesonal experience painting with it. You may want to try another coat with it, however I would try on a small area and see if it works, don't put a lot of money and time into it. If you spend money, buy a better product. That doesn't mean it will cost an arm and a leg.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts