DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What Danger of Asbestos?

867 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  mark sr 
#1 ·
The building I live in has soffit damage from rain. It's being replaced right now. The soffit has an old very broad style. The problem for me is that I live in the apt on the end, so the construction is being done on the wall where I live. My door is only a few feet away & has gaps, which I've tried to minimize.

The construction worker just told me the building is 75 yrs old.

It's pretty windy today, but, what do you think the danger is of asbestos? When I look in the space the soffit is covering it's just a big open area. A person could live in there! The soffit has gray rubbery looking insulation.

They don't do anything by regulations here. What do you think is the practical danger, if any? There are other dwellings close around.

Discussion starter · #3 · (Edited)
They would not have put any there, you are fine.

Even in the insulation?

An asbestos soffit is safe until disturbed. ... Asbestos is dangerous when its fibres get into the air. This happens by disturbing the asbestos soffit without taking proper precautions, or simply because the asbestos soffits are old and flakey.Jan 4, 2017

https://merryhill.co.uk/what-does-asbestos-look-like/

Discussion starter · #7 ·
It was like a thick white plaster, thicker than today's drywall. I've put that up before. With a gray coating on one side. The rubbery dark gray stuff was separate, I think & it was too high to see the actual texture. I took one of the plaster pieces & wrapped it up, carefully.

I wonder where they threw it out?

The roof is flat. Wouldn't it also have water damage if the soffit was toast?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.