DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The building I live in has soffit damage from rain. It's being replaced right now. The soffit has an old very broad style. The problem for me is that I live in the apt on the end, so the construction is being done on the wall where I live. My door is only a few feet away & has gaps, which I've tried to minimize.

The construction worker just told me the building is 75 yrs old.

It's pretty windy today, but, what do you think the danger is of asbestos? When I look in the space the soffit is covering it's just a big open area. A person could live in there! The soffit has gray rubbery looking insulation.

They don't do anything by regulations here. What do you think is the practical danger, if any? There are other dwellings close around.

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
They would not have put any there, you are fine.

Even in the insulation?

An asbestos soffit is safe until disturbed. ... Asbestos is dangerous when its fibres get into the air. This happens by disturbing the asbestos soffit without taking proper precautions, or simply because the asbestos soffits are old and flakey.Jan 4, 2017

https://merryhill.co.uk/what-does-asbestos-look-like/

·
retired framer
59,968 Posts
Even in the insulation?

An asbestos soffit is safe until disturbed. ... Asbestos is dangerous when its fibres get into the air. This happens by disturbing the asbestos soffit without taking proper precautions, or simply because the asbestos soffits are old and flakey.Jan 4, 2017
I would expect it to be rock wool bats I have never heard tell of asbestos for anything there. :wink2:

·
retired framer
59,968 Posts
You weren't working 75 yrs ago, were you?:devil3:
I have worked in houses built back when they really went nuts with asbestos. I have not seen what you are describing. But I could be wrong, it is just an opinion from some one that has not seen the product. :wink2:

·
Registered
26,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was like a thick white plaster, thicker than today's drywall. I've put that up before. With a gray coating on one side. The rubbery dark gray stuff was separate, I think & it was too high to see the actual texture. I took one of the plaster pieces & wrapped it up, carefully.

I wonder where they threw it out?

The roof is flat. Wouldn't it also have water damage if the soffit was toast?

·
retired framer
59,968 Posts
It was like a thick white plaster, thicker than today's drywall. I've put that up before. With a gray coating on one side. The rubbery dark gray stuff was separate, I think & it was too high to see the actual texture. I took one of the plaster pieces & wrapped it up, carefully.

I wonder where they threw it out?

The roof is flat. Wouldn't it also have water damage if the soffit was toast?
Are you sure it wasn't just a layer of stucco that has been covered over the years? Gray rubbery, nothing of old comes to mind. Unless it had what we call a hidden gutter and that is some flexible gutter liner.

·
retired painter
13,164 Posts
Not trying to downplay the dangers of asbestos but most of the health problems associated with it are from occupation exposure. Asbestos is only dangerous in a dry breathable form. It's worse for smokers. Do your best to limit your exposure to the dust and occupy your mind on other things. Many of us have been exposed to asbestos multiple times over the years with no ill effects.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.