DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing our front porch. The flooring is tongue and groove fir.the floor boards were stained with Sikens stain in butternut (medium brown). I have a few questions.

1. The new posts are 6x6 pressure treated. Wife wants them to be the same color as floor. I assume no primer is needed?

2. The top trim of the porch is currently painted with many layers of dark brown. My wife wants me to use the same color up there too. Being that it is dark brown and I am going to a medium brown, what color primer should I use? I figured just white but my dad said white is not always the answer. What color should I use?

3. Lastly, there will be some cement board on the porch that my wife wants to match the floor. The board is grey. Do I need primer on it first. I assume if I don't use primer I will waste a lot of stain when it soaks in.

Thank you

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I am replacing our front porch. The flooring is tongue and groove fir.the floor boards were stained with Sikens stain in butternut (medium brown). I have a few questions.

1. The new posts are 6x6 pressure treated. Wife wants them to be the same color as floor. I assume no primer is needed?

2. The top trim of the porch is currently painted with many layers of dark brown. My wife wants me to use the same color up there too. Being that it is dark brown and I am going to a medium brown, what color primer should I use? I figured just white but my dad said white is not always the answer. What color should I use?

3. Lastly, there will be some cement board on the porch that my wife wants to match the floor. The board is grey. Do I need primer on it first. I assume if I don't use primer I will waste a lot of stain when it soaks in.

Thank you
No primer when you stain. Will need to be sure the pressure treated is dry as the oil stain and the chemicals used to pressure treat may not play well together. 6x6 posts will hold a lot of the chemicals I've always waited a few months before painting.

Unless your going to go real light brown no primer needed, unless you plan on using a real cheap paint then you need to prime. Then have it tinted brown or use a grey primer.

I have never done it but I don't think cement boards are stainable. No primer under stain, the idea is stain needs to soak in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just realized that I posted my question twice. I thought the first one didn't go through
Mods can you close or delete thst other thread.

Follow up question, if I shouldn't stain cement board, should I get outdoor paint and try to get a color match?

Same with the current wood that is dark brown. Should I get an outdoor paint that is the same color as the stain?

·
Premium Member
8,029 Posts
Yes, get a color match in PAINT to come as close as possible to the stain on your wood. It won't be a perfect match, but, many paint stores can come really close..........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.