DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently built a timber open balcony on the 2nd floor (420 sq.ft) and a porcelain tile installed on the balcony floor. Now grout line started cracking started leaking down because the balcony moves. 1st floor has a patio with lights and fans.

Now the contractor wants to wait for a couple more weeks to settle the balcony then he wants to apply epoxy grout by removing the existing grout.

All this is OK. Now I want to take the extra step. Apply any expandable silicon (don't know what to apply) on grout lines as well as clear epoxy on tiles too for the long run.

Please give me some guidance and DIY tips to save my balcony.

·
Registered
37,468 Posts
Please post some pictures and give give far more info.
We need far more info on how this was built.
If the grouts cracking there's something done very wrong under it.

·
Naildriver
17,652 Posts
What is the basic construction of the balcony? Wood frame, poured concrete? Was there any decoupling method used, such as Schluter or Durock/Hardie? Something is causing the irregular movement, and my bet is on lack of decoupling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is built on wood frame with Joists, headers and 8x8 poles. 1st layer is treated plywood and I applied a rubber coat BLACK JACK Rubr-Coat, on top of playwood hardie installed and applied Aqua defence before installing the tiles.

Joist size is 2x12x16 and slop from 12 to 8 inches. balcony size is 15x28 (wide)

·
Naildriver
17,652 Posts
Nice concept deck. Love it. I have a question as to how the ledger is held to the house (picture 4). I don't see bolts, and wonder if the attachment method could cause movement that could crack your grout.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ledger attached to brick wall with widget anchors every 18 inches 2 of them on top of it lengthy screws drill all the way to support beam inside the brick wall

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.