DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ceiling in my half duplex is in need of updating. The previous DIY'er did not make square cuts and the drop ceiling is sagging. I'd like to replace it with another drop ceiling or another material. What would you suggest for a good material? Is it really worth it to replace it or do you think I should just recut the misaligned squares and paint the tiles to make it look fresh? I'd like to gain a little heigh if at all possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If the grid isn't damaged you can move and paint it. The moving part is tedious as to not damage it, but it can be done.

For the tiles, you can paint them. It's done all the time. They will look the part though, so if a painted tile isn't what you want then you can buy replacement tiles are your local supply shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The grid is in ok condition. I don't think it was cut right either since some edges just aren't flush. I just peeked behind the drop celing tiles and found that the existing ceiling is falling apart and pushing the drop ceiling tiles down. The existing ceiling is a cardboard like material, almost like drywall, small 10" contiguous tiles. What do you suppose might be behind those if I were to start tearing it all down? I would definitely gain at least 6" if I were to take the drop ceiling and existing ceiling out. Is my best bet to tear it all down and then drywall the ceiling?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I've seen alot of basements were that fiberous tile was just nailed to some strapping that was attached right to the joists. Pull one down and take a look.

Tear it out and drywall? That's up to you. It'd definately be cheaper to retrofit what you have. I personally don't like drywall on basement ceilings because of retrofit and maintenance reasons. If there is no plumbing in the area, there isn't much to worry about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts