DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My home has a water well that was installed long before I moved in. When I moved in, I added a water softener system, which included a prefilter at the front of the system. I have faithfully changed the prefilter cartridges every 6mth for the last 20yrs I've lived here. At the end of 6mth, the cartridges were yucky, but not excessive. With the filtration/softener, the water quality in the home has always been superb. However, the recent cartridge swap was 3mth ago. This week, we started encountered pressure issues, so I inspected the cartridges. As shown in the attached pictures, they were heavily covered in muck. In my 20yrs living here, the filters have NEVER been even close to this dirty when I changed them. I put new filters in last night and the system pressure is good now and clear again after purging some faucets for a while. However, I'm trying to rationalize what might have caused this fluke event. Is it possible a large chunk of sediment broke free in the underground river and bumped against the pump inlet, thus causing it to get sucked up into my house? Is there any other explanation for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Not a well guy but how deep is the well? Have you had any excessive recent rain?
Any heavy construction in your area? Any nearby homes having a similar issue?

Best
Bud

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a well guy but how deep is the well? Have you had any excessive recent rain?
Any heavy construction in your area? Any nearby homes having a similar issue?
Great questions and I had thought of some of these already. The well is 90' deep. There has not been any heavy construction around us. As for rain, we haven't had anything excessive. We had a downpour last week, but our little town has had much worse in other years. I'd say this year has been about average.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
You might talk to a well company as they will be very familiar with the soils in your area. There might be an option to hook up a larger pump and purge some of that sediment. They do similar when they drill a new well.

Bud

Reactions: m_ridzon

·
Registered
Building my last home
909 Posts
Something is stirring up the bottom of the well.

How high is the water level and how high is the pump from the bottom?

Spin filters work great for this kind of problem.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Just to add, if you are having that much silt it is possible it has accumulated to the level where your well point is stuck in the mud. that is where purging the well with a powerful pump might clean it out.

Bud

Reactions: m_ridzon

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you started seeing this after a heavy rain, it's possible that the well casing or the grout has a leak and shallow ground water is getting into the well. Or it could be coincidence. I would have a well driller take a look at the well.

·
Too Much DIY!
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick update:
I talked to a local well driller and explained the story to them. They said to change the filters and ride it out to see if it occurs again. In their opinion, it was probably a fluke thing (e.g., a chunk of sediment that broke free in the underground pool). But they said to call back if it happens again, at which point, they'll take a look to see what's going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts