DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm hoping to buy a house that I know had a flea problem before the weather got cold and have been told it has been bombed a couple of times but there were still active fleas. Now the weather is cold and they aren't hoping around and may be dead but the eggs are probably still around and ready to go when the weather warms up. Years ago I was told some bombs kill the eggs and they work, but other bombs don't kill the eggs so a few weeks later you've got fleas again. If that was and still is true I'd like something that kills the eggs so no more fleas to show up later. The house is empty and all carpet ripped out and no furniture so now's the time to hit it hard I hope. Can you knowledgeable people suggest what's best to put an end to the sorry suckers?

Also there was considerable flooding in the basement and there may be black mold down there and maybe on the upper levels also. I've seen that there are black mold bombs available as well as flea bombs. Can anyone suggest the best type to use? I haven't actually seen black mold but suspect it is in the basement. It has dirt and stone walls and a dirt floor, more like a really big crawl space, so it would be hard to see if it is there but it probably is.

Thank you for any help or suggestions!

David
ME, USA

·
retired framer
63,464 Posts
I suspect a black mold bomb would be guaranteed until the check is cashed.

Clean up all that you can, scrub effected wood with a detergent, if you have rotten wood replace what you can, if you have some left that won't be changed out, paint that with wood treatment copper.

And for the dirt and stuff in the basement buy this stuff by the gallon and use a garden sprayer.

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en...kwcid=AL!3645!3!303439909622!!!g!537903472746!

·
Registered
22,904 Posts
@nopeda, welcome!

Where in the USA are you.

For fleas, that can matter a lot.

Here in California we get a lot more them than we did back in Ohio.

Dunno about mold (watching that with interest).

I've had way way too much experience with fleas but there's a lot of hope for those.

First, if there's carpets, sprinkle them with "diatomaceous earth" which is the same stuff used for pool filters, among other things. (Some of it is supposedly edible, too, dunno if I'd waste that on this type of job.) The earth is made up of diatoms that are fossilized microorganisms that are sharp as razors and cut fleas to ribbons, along with their larvae. Sprinkle, wait a day, then vacuum with a fresh bag. Fleas and DE get sucked into the bag, fleas die.

Keep vacuuming over a period of days. Don't change the bag; the DE in it will kill any fleas you suck up. So fiendish, mua ha ha ha.

The second prong is to spray with growth inhibitor. That prevents larvae from maturing, so they die without reproducing. This takes longer, but it works, too. The great part is that it's a bug-specific chemical hormone, so it won't poison you, your pets, or wildlife. Just kills immature bugs. Just a short contact is enough.

Might as well get the kind you can use for roaches, too, kill and prevent to bugs with one chemical stone.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I have used Adams Flea & Tick spray. Kills active fleas and eggs also roaches and other stuff. Not for food contact surfaces. Follow the directions on the can. I got it at WalMart. Did a good job for me. I don't know anything about black mold bombs.

·
Registered
22,904 Posts
I have used Adams Flea & Tick spray. Kills active fleas and eggs also roaches and other stuff. Not for food contact surfaces. Follow the directions on the can. I got it at WalMart. Did a good job for me. I don't know anything about black mold bombs.

And use the growth inhibitor all over the place, especially under rugs, behind the fridge, etc.

Sun Tzu would have loved that stuff!

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
And use the growth inhibitor all over the place, especially under rugs, behind the fridge, etc.

Sun Tzu would have loved that stuff!
Yes I had forgotten. Pretty sure the Adams product pictured contains an IGR.

Reactions: DoomsDave

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I've heard that roaches can survive, even when they're radioactive themselves.
So have I. They don't survive the Adams product however. While I was for spraying for fleas a German roach happened to run into the spray. It jumped up, turned legs up, hit the floor, and DRT (dead right there). I also saw a lot of dead roaches after that.

Reactions: DoomsDave

·
Registered
105 Posts
Now is the time to get a professional pest control company and do a total job. They will get places you can't or haven't thought of. Sure it will cost you a few hundred bucks but the use effective products you can't and use them in a safe manner. They will treat places you haven't thought of.

Years ago we bought a house in south Louisiana and after a couple of unsuccessful tries to de-bug it ourselves we called a pro. They solved the problems in one trip and were well worth the cost.

·
Registered
740 Posts
With black mold spores you need more than a "bomb" unless it is the incendiary type like our military drops on schools and hospitals. I would not buy a house without first getting a couple of quotes from mold remediation companies that are reputable (Yelp can work well for finding ones and check with the BBB regarding any complaints filed).

With ongoing flea infestation there may also be a rodent problem with critter bringing new fleas into the house.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.