DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is protruding out of the slab of my house and has been this way for many years. I want to say I even remember seeing this as a child growing up. Several years ago, we had all floors ripped out and there were no cracks or problems with the concrete slab.

What is this?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Being serious here. Are you certain that it is coming out of the foundation and is not just near it?

Any reason why it couldn't be pushed down and buried so as not to pose a trip hazard?

Also, if it is a snake, how come nobody called it a Copperhead? :laughing:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is definitely coming through a hole in the slab. It looks like unwound rebar to me. My wifes ex did post tension and she said it looks like a busted post tension cable. It is hard and stiff. The hole it is coming out of is round and does not look like the cable busted through it.

·
JOATMON
17,228 Posts
Rebar is not wire....just solid steel.

So if they do post tension slabs in your area, that could be it....but it looks like you are missing the cap.

If it was me, I'd be checking the foundation to see if there are any other spots like this and to see if the post tension caps are in place.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
If it is steel cable a magnet will stick to it.

If copper, scratch it with your pocketknife, it will be copper colored.

Either way you can probably cut it off short, and cover it with mulch and forget it.

ED

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rebar is not wire....just solid steel.

So if they do post tension slabs in your area, that could be it....but it looks like you are missing the cap.

If it was me, I'd be checking the foundation to see if there are any other spots like this and to see if the post tension caps are in place.
Not sure what I would be looking for when looking for these caps. There is another one of these just like this one on the opposite side of the house, but at the other end of the house.

That is what I think I will end up doing...cut it off and forget it. As I said earlier, it has been this way many years and not caused any problems other than being an eyesore.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,144 Posts
Being in La. you do not have much danger of water getting in there and freezing in winter and cracking the slab.

Still I would plug the hole with something after cutting these off.

PL Construction adhesive comes to mind as a plug.

ED

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Definitely post tensioning cables, they are normally cut off immediately behind the wedges and grouted. You should cut them off as close to the wedges as possible, then clean and grout the hole. Non shrink grout is the correct material to fill them. You should also dig around the foundation and make sure they are all grouted. They will probably be 24" o.c., and if the wedges rust out, your foundation will no longer be crack free.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.