DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DIYers,

I'm doing an accent wall where I'm gluing up finished 4"x4" squares of various depths onto painted drywall.

I was using PL Premium Quick Grab -

http://www.lepageproducts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=133

But have found that about 5-10% of the squares are coming loose. They seem to bond with the paint only and pull the paint off the wall.

I was using a 1.5" round dollop on the back of each, and pressing each square to the wall for 15-20 seconds.

Any advice on what adhesive I should use for better results?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm not sure a different glue or pattern will help you. You can't really expect the glue to bond to anything but the surface you attach it to. I might be wrong, but if you attach it to paint and the paint comes off the wall, then I would think the issue is with the paint not bonding to the wall.

Are these freshly painted walls? What material are the 4x4 squares?

·
PE Mechanical Engineer
647 Posts
Definitely sounds like bad paint/primer adhesion. What might work for you would be to locate where you want to put the wood, then score a smaller square in the paint with a utility knife. You might actually be able to peel up an intact sheet of paint and get down to the drywall. If you see nothing but drywall compound, that indicates that the paint was put down over drywall dust. Could also be bad box store paint & primer. Wipe the area clean with a damp rag, let it dry completely, then use the adhesive to attach the wood to the drywall directly.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,146 Posts
As suggested by Thunder Chicken, Score the wall under the area, then use the PL adhesive.

Many paints especially enamel, and washable types will not let anything stick to it.

On another note, Thunder Chicken was what we used to call my mom's old Thunderbird. :vs_OMG:

ED

·
Registered
217 Posts
Though it is hard to predict which glue or pattern will help you, yet here you might actually be able to peel up the entire sheet of paint. When you attach it to paint, the paint will get down off the wall. Just before you start, clean the area and make it dry before applying adhesive to attach the wood to the drywall directly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.