Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 0 0.0%
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
11,730 Posts
The exterior walls and roof are required to be "dried-in" before any electrical wiring is done. As daveb1 said in post #3, earlier. If the roof wasn't tar papered or felt installed, it is in direct violation of electrical code. The walls require housewrap or builders paper, usually not completely sided as sometime the gables are sided later (but still weathered in).

Gary

Reactions: Cdessel

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
Don't let them just "dry it out". Any insulation or drywall that got wet and wasn't completely dried within 72 hours has got the start of mold colonies already forming in it. Even if it eventually dries, it is compromised. Insist on someone going around the house with a moisture meter and marking off anything that is above normal levels of moisture. Even if you can't feel the dampness, it may be present. Insist also that any wetted material be cut back no less than 12" past the wet line. Drywall will wick moisture for a long distance if left undried. They should also thoroughly dry the framing before reinstalling new insulation and drywall. New drywall hung over wet framing just becomes more wet drywall.

·
Super Moderator
12,174 Posts
Hey Cdessel, any updates?

I’d sure like to know how this one turned out with the contractor.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Does that house have a brick veneer as an outside sheathing? Are there windows above the area that is getting wet. I had a similar situation where the window sills were a rowlock course of brick and the mortar joints were leaking water. The water was running down behind the brick veneer. Check out this youtube video showing the water being drawn into the mortar joints.

My remedy was to have the rowlocks replaced with limestone sills.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@ Kwik, after tearing out the wet drywall/insulation, they supposedly hired an environmentalist to come out and detect all moist areas, they said the moisture test passed. I then asked for a copy of the moisture test and the sales associate told me that "I wont get a copy since the home builder doesn't even get a copy only there attorney gets a copy." Which made no sense to me, you would think they would be more than happy to give me a copy of the test, if it passed? I kept pushing them for it and finally they said I would get a copy when I close on the house. I have my first walk through on Monday.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
@ Kwik, after tearing out the wet drywall/insulation, they supposedly hired an environmentalist to come out and detect all moist areas, they said the moisture test passed. I then asked for a copy of the moisture test and the sales associate told me that "I wont get a copy since the home builder doesn't even get a copy only there attorney gets a copy." Which made no sense to me, you would think they would be more than happy to give me a copy of the test, if it passed? I kept pushing them for it and finally they said I would get a copy when I close on the house. I have my first walk through on Monday.
That makes no sense at all. Why would the builder, who is on the hook, not get a copy of the report? I'd love to see a copy of that report. With all the run around, I'm betting there isn't much to it if it exists at all. You should have your attorney insist on a copy ahead of time so you can review it.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts