DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drywall inside the wall has a little bit of mold on it, and i've known the siding is soft in spot on the outside and window trim too. See pics.

I'm wondering if I can just replace a few of the siding pieces and wood fill the wholes in trim? Trying to decide if I need to replace all the side, but also could just be old windows.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
It can be one of few reasons or all together. Looks like stardard window with standard brick trim and sill and it's impossible to know where the leak is. Condensation also. Only way to know is to remove the drywall and trace wet looking materials. Windows, example, after a hard rain open the sash and see if you have water spots along the tracks, weather seals, etc. Is there a window drip edge and is it draining or caulked shut? Is the leak outside or behind the siding (no flashing, no house wrap)?

You can try "nuke it" by caulking every joint around the window, paint outside and inside and see if mold comes back. Mold, if you're not sensitive to it, is also not a threat. Only after many years of exposure, you may become allergic to it.

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
If applicable, we shouldn't rule out an ice dam. Water from those is sneaky, silent and love to put water in walls causing damage that could have occurred intermittently over several different years.

·
retired framer
46,977 Posts
Mold on the drywall can be caused by many things.

Poor heat circulation allowing the wall to get cold and inside air condensation.

Poor insulation installation allowing the wall to be colder than it should be.

And then leaks from siding or windows.

There are two kinds of windows, those that leak and those that have not leaked yet.

New construction accepts that windows will leak and you install them with a drain pan to collect water and give it a path out.

Solid siding like that now also has a different installation method where there is a space behind it that allows it to dry when water does get behind it.

Looking behind the drywall will tell you quickly if you have an insulation or a leak problem.

If it is a leak problem maybe the question should be can the siding and windows be salvaged if the were just re installed with newer methods.

And can this be done on one or two problem wall and not the rest? yes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts