DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to test capacitors on my broken air conditioner. I need a multimeter with MFD support. I have the following places near me
Home Depot, WalMart, Target, Costco.

Anyway I'm looking to get a hold of one fast, so I was thinking some place local rather than order from the internet. I live in Westchester County, N.Y. Does anyone know a local place where I can buy a multimeter with MFD support? I was hoping HomeDepot had one but I can't find one on their website (or maybe I'm not looking right).

Thanks

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
The Klein MM1000 measures capacitance up to 4000uF, and more than one Home Depot near you has them in stock. I'm sure other meters there also measure capacitance, but this was the first one I checked and I stopped looking when I found it. Plenty of multimeters measure capacitance. However, you probably don't really need to measure capacitance. You probably just need to check that the capacitors are functional, not determine their actual values. You can do that with any ohmmeter. First make sure the capacitor is discharged by shorting the leads. Then connect the ohmmeter to it, preferably on a fairly high resistance scale (10K or 100K would be good), if you can select the range. It should initially indicate no resistance, then the reading should climb. This may happen almost instantly (less than a second), or it may take awhile. Eventually it should read very high resistance - at least 10's of k-ohms. If this happens, the capacitor is functioning normally.

You can also use a volt meter and a 9V battery. Just connect the battery to the capacitor, remove it, and rapidly measure the voltage on the capacitor with a digital meter on DC volts. It should read close to the battery voltage and drop fairly slowly.

Reactions: Deck

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I'm looking to test capacitors on my broken air conditioner. I need a multimeter with MFD support. I have the following places near me
Home Depot, WalMart, Target, Costco.
You're in Westchester. You have A LOT more than that around you.

Try an electrical supply house. Google is your friend, or the Yellow Pages if you're old school.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts