DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am greeted with more wires than I know what do to with! ha ha.

We bought this house last year its almost 100 years old, 200amp service, and the electrical is a nightmare. Some outlets are grounded, some are not.

Anyways the circuit the kitchen light is on, also is the same circuit for an attached mudroom, a storage room and the garage.

I wish I had the skills to re-wire everything properly, but anyways.

I've attached pictures to show what I'm looking at. It looks like there is some copper (I assume is grounding) wiring in the back of the box.

Any suggestions? (other than win the lottery and totally redo the house wiring lol)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,294 Posts
The first thing that you will need to do is to change out that box for one that is rated for fan support.

What wires were connected to the old fixture that was there? How many switches are involved?

Based on the splices I would say all the blacks are a constant hot, while one of the reds is a switch controlled hot. This should be verified.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first thing that you will need to do is to change out that box for one that is rated for fan support.

What wires were connected to the old fixture that was there? How many switches are involved?

Based on the splices I would say all the blacks are a constant hot, while one of the reds is a switch controlled hot. This should be verified.
Thank you,

Just a red and a white wire were connected to this one light that has one light switch controlling it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad that I found this thread as I am in a similar situation... How can one tell just by looking at the box that it is or is not rated for fan support?

·
Super Moderator
14,294 Posts
I am glad that I found this thread as I am in a similar situation... How can one tell just by looking at the box that it is or is not rated for fan support?
I was basing that on the apparent age of the box and also the fact that only the standard mounting ears are on the box. Some fan rated boxes have a metal boxlike boss that pivots to accept 8/32 or 10/32 screws. Some other style boxes also have holes for the longer mounting screws to pass thru the back of the box and out into a thick mounting plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts