DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a home that has well and septic and everything seems to be fine, but I like knowing my hardware. I have installed RO filters in the past under sinks but a well water system is a bit out of my current league (not that I cannot learn).

I wanted to share some photos and need help identifying the parts and basic maintenance and if there are any concerns.

This is the general setup:

1. Is the sale storage container for the water softener correct? I filled it all the way up. Assume that is ok. Took about 6 bags of salt.

2. This looks to be a dual stage filter of some sort... not sure what it is for. What do I look for?

3. Appears to be an expansion take for water pressure. What is the correct PSI of this tank supposed to be?

4. This tank/filter seems to have a timer or gauge on the top. I am not sure what this is for and what I should look for on it.

5. This small tank holds oxidizer (7% H2O2) - I am told by the previous owner to add one cup each week. There looks to be paper filaments at the bottom (circular that are starting to get rust coloration on the edges... could be normal). What is this for? What other maintenance is needed?

6. This looks like an RO filter for the drinking water at the kitchen sink and the fridge inlet for ice and water. This is basic for me and can install new filters when needed.

7. This is the first filter coming from the well... I assume this is a first stage filter?

8. RO pressure tank I assume. What PSI?

9. Sump pump to expel water...

So with all this... are there manuals online for this system type? Are there cheaper online services for me to replace certain things instead of buying local? I need some general guidance here for anyone that has one of these type of systems.

Thanks!

---

Here are additional images:

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Use a pool test kit and test your water

Come back and let us know the results.

I'd be willing to bet you don't need half of that.

What I have.

Pipe coming inside from well
Shut off
filter
expansion tank
Water treatment injection type.
Water pipe branches to boiler and water heater
etc......

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would send off a water sample from the well and get it tested. You may not need all the stuff that the previous owner installed.

There is no apparent sediment filter which should be the first water treatment as it leaves the well. These usually have a clear housing so you can see when the filter needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We got it tested by the county when we bought the property but have ordered test strips to do another test just to be sure.

I assume that having the extra stuff is not maybe a bad thing, I just don't want to have to maintain more that I need. That's all. I will report back.

Thanks for the tips so far.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
We got it tested by the county when we bought the property but have ordered test strips to do another test just to be sure.

I assume that having the extra stuff is not maybe a bad thing, I just don't want to have to maintain more that I need. That's all. I will report back.

Thanks for the tips so far.
A lot of extra cost if its not needed.
Having your own well should be cleaner water, better tasting, and cheaper then city water.

City water is made up of three parts. I'll let you get that information.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Hopefully not the same situation, but... Husband's boss had a set-up like that because the well water was silty (aka the well was running dry/poorly located) She changed the big filter (your #7) weekly for years and years. Then spent $15k for a new well and everything is fine now.

My husband saw that and immediately said "RUN!!!"

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I agree with "RUN". We _had_ rural properly with a shallow well, 30' or so deep. Softener on it only for hardness. One year the water table got so low the pressure tank collapsed in. Looked like a big green taco.
Had to have another well installed. I was hoping the driller would go deeper, deeper = better water? No such luck. New well at 34'. We had the water tested at a bio lab ($$) as we were surrounded by cattle farms. The lab people (local) thought we were nuts.
Our new well had a softener, then an additional gadget to treat the water (have to think a while to recall the chemical) then a particle filter and that was it. Lots of snake-oil in that business.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
I assume that is treated water because there are so many zeros. Do you have test results from raw water?

Reactions: Mystriss
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.