DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a submerged well pump with a 20/40 switch. The cutoff pressure is fine but the system will not cut in untill the pressure drops to almost zero. I have replaced the pressure switch and the problem persists. I measured the air pressure in the tank and it was below 8 psi. I increased the tank pressure to the recommend 18 psi and no cutin occured at all. I then decreased the pressure to the previous level of 8 psi and it resumed cutin after pressure near zero as before. What do I check next.

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
Are you measuring the pressure in the tank with no water pressure in the system?

How is your pressure switch attached to the system? Maybe something below the pressure switch is partially plugged up?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Alan for your prompt reply. Yes, the tank was empty when I measured pressure. I removed the pressure switch and clean out the tube and still no change.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
What does not cut in until the pressure drops to almost zero? In other words, at what point in time do the points in the pressure switch close? Do they close when the pressure reaches the cut-in pressure, or do they not close until the pressure drops to "almost zero". If they are not closing at the right point in time, it seems like your second pressure switch is faulty. Can you hear your pump kick on? If so, see if perhaps it is kicking on at the right point in time, but simply not pumping water immediately. If this is the case, you could have a bad check valve, causing the pump to lose its' prime, or a bad pump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well system problem

The contacts do not close until the pressure reaches zero and then after a 20-30 second delay or more. I can hear the contacts closing.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Okay, it seems, to me, that you have isolated the problem. I would drain and flush the tank, becuase it is my guess that you have an excess of debris in the tank, which is reducing flow to the pressure switch, or your new pressure switch is defective.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The contacts do not close until the pressure reaches zero and then after a 20-30 second delay or more. I can hear the contacts closing.
When the gauge indicates zero do you still have water flowing? Those pressure gauges connected to the pressure switch have a tendency to go bad after a few years and read inaccurately. You might want to try a bib gauge connected to an outside spigot for comparison.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts