DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turned on the faucet and... no water!!!! .
Checked pressure switch, breakers to pump etc all seem ok. Getting 230v at the controller box ( 1hp Franklin electric 2801084915) Start capacitor seems ok, checked ohms jumps towards 0 the moves to infinity. When I turn the power on the controller box itself will "buzz" a few seconds then stop, but pump does nothing. On checking resistance in lines down to pump I get about 16 ohms R-Y, same for R-B, but I get zero for Y-B. This means some kind of short in cables or motor winding down at the pump I'm guessing? Please verify if I'm on the right track here and if so any idea on general cost to get this replaced on a 300 ft plus well?

Thanks, David

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
My parents well is about the same depth was 300 something we first thought bad pump because of resistance tests and after replacing the pump and still no water it ended up being a wire so we pulled the dang thing twice. It's two to four person job depending of strength and if I remember right it was over 600 for the stainless steel pump.

·
Idiot Emeritus
1,910 Posts
The resistance from Yellow to Red could easily be 16Ω, but the resistance from Yellow to Black should be around 7Ω, and the resistance from Black to Red should be the sum of the other two.

Most likely either the run winding in the motor is shorted or the Yellow and Black wires are shorted.

When wires short together, it's almost always near the bottom of the well, usually the splice at the motor has failed.

Rob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No low water arm Alan.
And thanks Rob, that is what I suspected from reading earlier threads on the subject. Now I've gotta decide whether I'm up to pulling it myself or just calling in the pro's.
David

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
On checking resistance in lines down to pump I get about 16 ohms R-Y, same for R-B, but I get zero for Y-B.
Zero? Definitely not normal. Is it exactly the same "zero" reading you get from touching the two meter probes together? If so, the short from Y to B is either in the pump control box or at the wellhead. The resistance of the wire is high enough that a short at the bottom of a 300' well would read somewhat more than zero resistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably wasn't completely zero but was using a little cheap analog meter and was so close it appeared to be.
So went ahead and had it pulled. Wires b & Y were exposed and one was worn in two from abrasion down near the pump. Thanks to all for the help and info.
David.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.