DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a wall taped and mudded (horizontally) for weeks before I had the time to put texture on it, the seam was sanded smooth and had no cracks. The very next day after texturing, a hairline crack appears straight along the seam!
What gives? I have no cracking problems with the vertical seams anywhere I've done. Why only the horizontal seams and why wasn't there a crack until I textured?

Any ideas anyone? Can I patch them invisibly?
They'll come back, right? LOL

DM

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
vertical seams have backing continuous where as horizontal is layed across stud spacing. If this is a new event and you have textured this way before? all that comes to mind is amount of tape bedding material may be light and humidity levels may affect moisture absorption rates creating stress crack. just a thought

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's just weird that the seam fill did not crack for weeks! Just after I added texture! THEN it cracks???
Any fix? fill and smooth a bit to try to hide it? It'll just crack again, right?
Maybe I'll do wood panel and wainscot wood trim over that point.

DM

·
Registered
505 Posts
i had exactly this happen with a new ceiling i hung. rocked it, taped it, let it sit for a few weeks before texture, then, when it's textured i get hairline cracks. i partly blame the fiberglass tape that was used. all the rooms that were paper taped did not have this issue. however, the other likely cause was the topping compound shrinking when drying. i sanded the texture off one crack. caulked a small area, it's holding, also used setting compound in another area, it's holding as well. if the setting compound holds till spring i'll fix the ceiling cracks with it.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
do you use mesh or paper tape? I have heard of many more problems with cracks for whatever reason with mesh tape than paper tape. Paper tape actually adds a structural benefit to the joint by resisting shifting between the two pieces of drywall that the mesh does not.

·
11,730 Posts

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I'll just do wood over the crack.
I sort of wanted to do that anyways, this just clinches it. Po)

DM

·
Registered
344 Posts
Most textures (if not all) are applied wetter than the finishing compound, therefore shrink more. When texture is applied to unprimed compound it tends to soak in to the finishing compound and dry from both sides, thus shrinking the finishing compound, pulling on the tape and cracking. Applying a prime coat equalizes the surface porosity and helps the texture dry to the outside.
I am sure that thousands of homes have been textured without priming first with no problems. However, priming first will help prevent cracks.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, I guess if I had primered just that area, it would have prevented this? hmmm.... Luckily, I can go about this two ways.... I can re-texture just the cracked area with the "Upside-down Fire" design I'm using in there as it hides easily and be pretty sure it won't re-crack, orrrrr add a 'chair-rail' trim all around the room to cover it, which may not be such a bad idea after all as that and the baseboards will prevent any cabinet/towelstand contact with the walls. It's only a 5'x5' minibath and the only room I'll be doing this in.

Now to decide....

Thanks for all the input guys!

DM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts