DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to help out a friend by replacing a simple ballast for her. It's in a room with 2 florescent fixtures powered from one switch. The old magnetic ballast quit working on the further of the 2 lights. Basic wiring and replaced with new electronic ballast. Light comes on, and works great. Only issue is now the first light in sequence doesn't come on. It still has the old magnetic ballast. And yes it did work previously to me turning off the power. Even worked before bulbs were put in new electronic ballast fixture. I wouldn't see why but is there issues with frequencies back feeding from electronic ballast to magnetic ballast when they are on the same circuit? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'd check all the connections, then try replacing/swapping the other ballast. Personally I would have converted to LED. The replacement ballasts I've seen don't have a useful warranty and are pricey.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with going to l.e.d. but she already had these and just asked if I would put them in. And Game plan was to switch the other ones from magnetic to electronic now also because of the issue. Hoping that would fix my problem. Just wondering if it had happened to anybody else

·
Registered
289 Posts
I cannot speak to your actual issue, but I have an entire office building that has hundreds of ballasts of every conceivable type. I have circuits with mixes of LED's, magnetics and electronic (we are slowly converting to all LED). To this point they have all been compatible.

If you are dimming, the story will change.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No not dimming. Like your set up, I wouldn't see any issue with mixing ballast. That's why I thought maybe it was some weird feedback. I guess maybe it was just bad timing and the other ballast are failing also. I don't know the history of them, maybe it's been an issue with them too. I told her to go pick up 2 more and I would be back over on Sunday sometime to replace them. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
231 Posts
Many times with these problems, fixtures are wired one to the next, to the next, etc. And when working on one fixture, a connection comes loose and you loose the lights downstream from there.

So check your connections on the light you were working on. There may also be an electrical box above the fixture and your working on the wires may have tugged a wire going into that box, then caused a connection to come loose.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Don't overthink this and don't expect it to be difficult.

1) Make sure the lamps/tubes are inserted and correctly installed. Would be a good time to put in new lamps anyway.
2) Check and see if the fixture is getting power.
3) If its getting power and you have known good lamps installed, you have a bad ballast.
4) Yes coincidences do happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts