DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to try to explain this as clear as possible.

There are two switches and a ceiling fan. On the ceiling fan, only the light is controlled by the switches. The fan is on constant power and is controlled by the chain.

This must be a 3-way switch system but one of the switches is a 1-way while the other is a 3-way. But the wiring is weird. I will explain.

Box 1 with the 1-way switch has two cables going in. One cable has the white and black connected together and with a pigtail to one side of the switch. The other cable has the same thing but going to the other side of the switch.

Originally the wires were connected together and to the switch by having one wire of the cable connected via the back-stab and the other wire by screw; likewise with the other side. But when I pulled the switch out I found that the back-stab connections were completely loose and the wires fell right out. I tried fixing it by only connecting the hot wires to the switch and connecting the neutral wires directly together, like a regular switch (I am not sure about this though, it was a few years ago) but that caused the 3-way system to work improperly (I don't exactly remember what problems it caused). So to fix it I connected the wires together using Ideal Push-In wire connectors and pigtails to the switch.

Box 2 with the proper 3-way switch has 3 cables going in and it is a little complicated.
Cable 1 comes in from the bottom and two cables, 2 and 3, come in from the top (two cables in one clamp).
The black wire from cable 1 goes to wire nut 1. The white wire goes to wire nut 2.
The black wire from cable 2 goes to wire nut 1 and the white wire goes to wire nut 2. (Therefore cables 1 and 2 are directly connected through)
The black wire from cable 3 goes to wire nut 3 and there is nothing else connected to wire nut 3 so that nut just caps that wire.
The white wire from cable 3 goes to the top-right screw on the 3-way switch. There is a pigtail from wire nut 1 to the bottom-right screw on the 3-way switch.
(The top-left screw on the switch is not connected to anything).

If I connect the capped-off black wire from cable 3 to the top-right screw on the switch, then replace the 1-way with a 3-way switch, will the 3-way system work? But how would I replace the 1-way with a 3-way with that wiring setup? Which wire would go where?

Pictures (click to view):
Box 1:

Box 2:

P.S. Wire nut 1 and 3 are yellow Ideal Wing-Nuts. But Wire nut 2 is a different yellow nut (it's the one in the upper left corner in the picture). Can someone tell me what kind of wire nut that is?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So you're saying that either switch can turn the fan light on or off?
No because one of the switches is a 1-way. The other switch (a 3-way) has to stay in the upward position for the 1-way switch to turn the light on and off.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ok because your first post you stated ,

On the ceiling fan, only the light is controlled by the switches.

That made it sound like either switch turns it on or off.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The way you have the existing 3way wired it is functioning as a single pole switch or as you call it a one way switch. It appears as if the 3way switch is supplying power to the single pole switch and the single pole switch is connected to the light

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which terminal on the 3way switch is black or the common terminal
The bottom-right one. There is a pigtail from that screw to wire nut 1.

The top-right screw has a white wire from cable 3 connected.

The top-left screw is not connected, and there is a hot wire from cable 3 that is not connected to anything either.

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
Top and bottom, left and right are irrelevant and meaningless. The devices are not all made the same. There is no right side up or down for a receptacle. A single pole switch does not have a line or load side.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Top and bottom, left and right are irrelevant and meaningless. The devices are not all made the same. There is no right side up or down for a receptacle.
This is a 3-way switch. Not a receptacle. It looks like this.

And can't you see the images I posted?
How else am I supposed to tell which screw is what?

I suppose the bottom-right one is the power input and the two top screws are the outputs. So should I refer to them as "the input screw" and "one of the output screws"?

·
Licensed electrician
13,396 Posts
The odd colored screw is called the common. The others are travelers. That switch has no orientation. It can be installed either way.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Is this what your setup looks like?

What is the relation between the cables at the single pole switch(the switch on the left in the diagram) and the 3-way switch?

Meaning is cable "A" and the SP switch the same as say cable "3" at the 3-way switch?

NOTE: I do not show any ground wires for ease of drawing.

Here is the description you posted in post #1 that I tried to show in the diagram:

Box 1 with the 1-way switch has two cables going in. One cable has the white and black connected together and with a pigtail to one side of the switch. The other cable has the same thing but going to the other side of the switch.

Box 2 with the proper 3-way switch has 3 cables going in and it is a little complicated.
Cable 1 comes in from the bottom and two cables, 2 and 3, come in from the top (two cables in one clamp).
The black wire from cable 1 goes to wire nut 1. The white wire goes to wire nut 2.
The black wire from cable 2 goes to wire nut 1 and the white wire goes to wire nut 2. (Therefore cables 1 and 2 are directly connected through)
The black wire from cable 3 goes to wire nut 3 and there is nothing else connected to wire nut 3 so that nut just caps that wire.
The white wire from cable 3 goes to the top-right screw on the 3-way switch. There is a pigtail from wire nut 1 to the bottom-right screw on the 3-way switch.
(The top-left screw on the switch is not connected to anything).

Attachments

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that looks like that's it. Funny illustration of ceiling fan w/ light :laughing:.
To find which cable relates to what, I'd have to dig deeper, and maybe even take the fan down. I can't do that right now but maybe later I'll get to do that. Thank you for taking the time to draw a diagram. Looks better than the ones I draw :001_tongue:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts