DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a new door with no brick molding or flange. Siding is T-1-11. Wondering what the best way to weatherproof this door would be.

I was planning on installing the door flush with the exterior siding. There would then be a 1/2 inch gap around the top and sides. What next?

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
I am installing a new door with no brick molding or flange. Siding is T-1-11. Wondering what the best way to weatherproof this door would be.

I was planning on installing the door flush with the exterior siding. There would then be a 1/2 inch gap around the top and sides. What next?
You can't install the door that way and expect it to be weather tight. You need to install a cap flashing that goes under the T-111 and over the door trim at the top of the door. You will need some sort of trim to cover the gaps on the side and a tray under the sill.
Ron

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can't install the door that way and expect it to be weather tight. You need to install a cap flashing that goes under the T-111 and over the door trim at the top of the door. You will need some sort of trim to cover the gaps on the side and a tray under the sill.
Ron
Thanks Ron.

I have the cap flashing and I'm planning on doing that. The top is the easiest part for me. The sides are a puzzle. I am trimming the entire door with 1x6 to match the rest of the house. Installing the door flush with the exterior siding will make the trim look right. Just not sure how to flash that other than caulk on the trim.

The door is an exterior door with a sill. What do you mean by a tray?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
The tray is a flashing detail under the sill. Do a search for "sill tray" and you should get a graphic or two. They can be plastic or aluminum and cover the area under the sill and up the rough framing for about 6".
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts