DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we moved into this house (originally built in 1995) in July of last year and at the time everything looked great. The investment company we bought it from of course claimed they had no prior knowledge of issues because they never lived in it (of course... AWESOME loophole in the disclosure laws :vs_mad:), but we suspect there was a large amount of drywall work as we can now see the tape lines in the bathrooms and hallway about 3 feet up and from talking with the neighbors.

What has me more concerned though is that since moving in nail pops and waves have popped up and more recently I noticed a crack on what appears to be a seam line across the ceiling in one of the rooms as well as in a line between the two rows of pot lights in the kitchen. Looking closer I can make out what appear to be tape lines or seams in other places of the ceiling.

The question I have is, is this something I should be concerned with as signs of something serious like structural or is it just a sign of poor workmanship? replacing the entire ceiling is absolutely not in the budget for the foreseeable future so i'm hoping it's just cosmetic and not the ceiling about to collapse over our heads

Attachments

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Only the second picture is showing anything.
For sure anyone looking to turn a house is going to find the lowest bidder or do it there self.
Just looks like lack of enough screws or a really poor tape job.
To fix the old tape needs to be cut out and be redone.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Of course it could be your structure moving, but if you can see the joints in your bathroom and hall, then the guys who put in the drywall were not professionals. That is more likely the issue.

Some would also say that 5/8" (rather than 1/2") drywall is preferred for ceilings. (assuming joists are on no more that 16" centers)

..and are those nail pops or screw pops ?

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
I took a second look and agree.
If they cheaped out and used 1/2" instead of 5/8, nails instead of screws, someone used the attic for storage and there only 2 X 4 joist then this is the type of damage you can expect.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the input so far, I appreciate it. So it sounds far more likely to be poor work vs a structural problem and I don't see any cracks on any of the exterior walls on the inside or stucco on the outside. As far the the first and third pic not showing anything, I circled the trouble spots for clarification, the "waves" seem to follow the trusses and are at regular intervals (20ish inches apart eyballed) across the rooms where it is showing and i've noticed them for a while, the cracks i've just recently noticed. I noticed a crack last night along the bottom "wave" i've circled too and I wouldn't be surprised to find a seam there. I believe they used nails, I don't have a ladder tall enough to get to the ones in the picture (it's an 18' vaulted ceiling) but I found a pop nearer to the floor and it is definitely a nail.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts