DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Licensed Engineer
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for specific details but only a general price range estimate. I was talking to a Wausau Home Builder today and he quoted $445K to provide and erect one of their homes which has ~1450 sq ft. No upgrades. No lot cost. No utilities allowance. No premiums included for anything.

On-line price guides for panelized homes states to expect prices to be in the range of $110 to $160/sq ft. The price I received was $300 per sq ft. So..... are Wausau Homes known to have prices twice that of other suppliers within the same market niche? Or does it sound as if the guy accidentally doubled the cost somehow?

·
Licensed Engineer
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The answer came to me about 10 minutes after my post last night. The difference is the current cost of lumber!

I haven't purchased any lumber since Oct 2020 but am aware of what happened to lumber prices in the Spring of 2021. The web site I referenced for typical range of costs did not include a year of publication so it might have been slightly dated, but it might have been only 1-2 years old. The real question is what will happen so home prices assuming there is a normalization of lumber costs back to near what they were 12 months ago. Will buyers discover at time of closing that new contract signers for construction of an identical home are being charged only 60-70% of what they paid?

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,404 Posts
Looked at those guys, for about 3 weeks, I kept asking more questions and they started dragging their feet. Lots to go wrong with them doing the framing and you doing the finishing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts