DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Endless Projects
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sauna going in. I have raised the floor insulated the floor joists and screwed down 3/4 CDX plywood. A sauna company I talked to suggested laying down linoleum for the flooring. When I went to Home Depot they said the linoleum they sell is very cheap and my mold in that environment. They sold me Lifeproof vinyl tile. I have read it is a very cheap (poor quality) product. Also it would be a float install and I would have to cut out and caulk around floor support seat posts, which makes me concerned about the integrity of this flooring's waterproofness.

It is getting too cold to tile in there. What should I do to waterproof this subfloor?

What flooring should i lay down that can support 190 degrees?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well, I think the guy from Home Depot is wrong. Sheet vinyl will be fine, provided you aren't taking baths in there.

I do take bucket baths in my saunas. What I do is put down a layer of rubber roofing (you can also use shower pan liner), and then cover that with cedar "duck boards". Makes for a very pleasant surface to walk on with bare feet. You can even buy them ready made. https://www.cedarbrooksauna.com/cedar-sauna-flooring.html

·
Endless Projects
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I think the guy from Home Depot is wrong. Sheet vinyl will be fine, provided you aren't taking baths in there.

I do take bucket baths in my saunas. What I do is put down a layer of rubber roofing (you can also use shower pan liner), and then cover that with cedar "duckboards". Makes for a very pleasant surface to walk on with bare feet. You can even buy them ready-made. https://www.cedarbrooksauna.com/cedar-sauna-flooring.html
I have duck board coming with my sauna order.

I have a number of different waterproof rolls membrane stored right next to the sauna. I will take an inventory in the morning to see what i got. I think one is water and ice and another is one I used to cover the ICF foam block for the foundation.

I think the problem with the Home Depot offering is it was the cheapest form of linoleum.

What kind of glue did you use to seal down the linoleum to the waterproof membrane?

·
Registered
729 Posts
I have duck board coming with my sauna order.

I have a number of different waterproof rolls membrane stored right next to the sauna. I will take an inventory in the morning to see what i got. I think one is water and ice and another is one I used to cover the ICF foam block for the foundation.

I think the problem with the Home Depot offering is it was the cheapest form of linoleum.

What kind of glue did you use to seal down the linoleum to the waterproof membrane?

I wouldn't use glue. Just lay it down. They make vinyl that doesn't need to be glued. You can hold it down around the edges with trim and some kind of strip at the door. If you want to stick with sheet vinyl, go to a flooring store and ask for a remnant of some good quality stuff.

I assume you aren't bathing in there. Don't really see the point of using a waterproofing layer. For one thing it will make your vinyl install problematic.

·
Endless Projects
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't use glue. Just lay it down. They make vinyl that doesn't need to be glued. You can hold it down around the edges with trim and some kind of strip at the door. If you want to stick with sheet vinyl, go to a flooring store and ask for a remnant of some good quality stuff.

I assume you aren't bathing in there. Don't really see the point of using a waterproofing layer. For one thing it will make your vinyl install problematic.
My local stores do not carry anything quality in sheet goods. At least the one store I contacted did not. She said they only carry vinyl sheets for inexpensive rental property purposes. If I wanted anything with quality I would have to order it.

There are two more places I can check to see if they have any remnants or anything of quality in stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts