DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to begin waterproofing a shower. I used a fiberglass tape embedded into thinset on all the corners and seams. Do I need to use a fiberglass mesh again on the seams with the Redgard waterproofing?

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,635 Posts
I'm about to begin waterproofing a shower. I used a fiberglass tape embedded into thinset on all the corners and seams. Do I need to use a fiberglass mesh again on the seams with the Redgard waterproofing?

In truth, corners should always be done with a flexible material. For instance, a good tiler (read professional that was taught correctly) will use standard thinset and grout all the way ALMOST (say about 1/2") to each corner or anywhere that two surface planes come together at an angle (walls to floor, walls to ceiling, side walls to adjacent side wall). At the corner, they will use a flexible mastic and a flexible (unsanded/latex/silicon) grout made for that purpose and matching in color. Sadly, nearly all of today's tilers disavow the practice and the result is always cracks in the corners.

Okay - enough on that.

Regarding the tape that you have embedded in the thinset in the corners - that tape is strictly for the thinset and has nothing to do with your waterproofing.

Answer; With the RedGuard - YES, you need another layer of tape to provide flexible continuity between the adjacent walls. I do believe RedGuard has a specific tape they want you to use (but I could be foggy on that).

With RedGuard, I remember making up a 1/4 mix with water to use as a primer which is rolled/brushed onto everything. Then, you should apply your fist layer. embed your tape and then continue (with dry/skin time) until you reach the prescribed thickness of RG. It's a great product IMO - easy, versatile and quick.

When it's dry you're ready for tiling - don't forget to use flexible media in the corners - you'll lose ego-points if you get a crack in the corner grout that ends up sprouting mold (I always look in the corners to see if the tiler knew their trade - I also close doors and check to make sure the door meets the stop all the way around and there is a constant gap to the jamb to see if the finish carpenter was any good - that's just me, been there, done that and got well paid to do it right.)

Have fun - by asking the question, we can tell you're being serious about the task.

Let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Redgard makes a tape but it's fairly thick... much thicker than what I've seen in videos around the web and on renovation shows so I wanted to ask. I couldn't find this thinner mesh tape locally so I suppose I'll just have to use the Redgard brand tape. The thinset I used is a polymer blend so I thought it might work but wanted to confirm.

·
Contractor/Engineer
1,635 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Yes, Redgard makes a tape but it's fairly thick... much thicker than what I've seen in videos around the web and on renovation shows so I wanted to ask. I couldn't find this thinner mesh tape locally so I suppose I'll just have to use the Redgard brand tape. The thinset I used is a polymer blend so I thought it might work but wanted to confirm.
Good job - asking questions usually makes a job come out better! True for all of us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts