DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the traps for my galley and bathroom vanity sinks in my RV with HEPCO waterless traps. The HEPVO is a mechanical device which replaces a conventional water weir trap. They also eliminate the need for an AAV. The main advantage for me is that it provides additional space under the cabinets. In colder climes it would eliminate the need to winterize the traps. They come in 1.5 and 1.25" sizes and connect via standard slip joint tubular drain connections. About $25 on Amazon

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NLMPLDU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's just wonderful. Tell us about them. How do they work, do they wear out, can they get clogged? Did your wife approve?
They have a flexible membrane inside that act as a one way check valve. Drain water opens the valve and then closed to prevent sewer gas from the gray tank from coming back up. Do they wear out, time will tell. Not much in them to get clogged. Wife ask me to move the plumbing to get more useable storage space. Go on utube and search Hepco and see a number of videos.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

·
Registered
722 Posts
I've seen them. They kind of looks like a rubber ducks bill that allows water to flow out, but nothing comes back in. Supposedly they won't cause a clog. I've used one for about 3 years now and haven't had an issue. They are pretty neat.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
That is HEPVO
I figured that out. Pretty neat. Be great when venting is a problem. Probably wear out eventually but should last a long time. Probably last longer than an old chrome trap. Wonder how well it will work with garbage disposal. Certainly cleans up piping under a sink.

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt they would be approved for plumbing in a home. Few RVs have garbage grinders(•‿•)

·
Registered
722 Posts
I doubt they would be approved for plumbing in a home. Few RVs have garbage grinders(•‿•)

I agree, from seeing the construction of it, I don't think food particles would work that well. At the risk of being ostracized from the group, I will admit I used one when I replaced our basement shower. Extremely low headroom and using a shower discharge pump to get it up to the septic drain line. You can't have a trap that's lower than the pump input, so cutting the concrete to bury a p-trap wouldn't work. I used a separate saniflo pump just for the shower as to not contaminate it with the one for the toilet and worry that if for some reason the Hepvo didn't work, and having toilet waste odors coming back up the shower drain. After 3 years it's still working fine. The previous owner had this nasty neo-angle corner shower on a 2x8 base, and had suspended ceiling with pvc tiles. It was barely 6' high in the shower, I would have had to bend my knees to stand up. Used a 4" base and got rid of the suspended ceiling and used drywall right to the upper floor joists. I believe it's about 6'8" now. I doubt it's code to use the Hepvo in residential homes, and this bathroom maybe gets used 10 times in the summer only, but with it's own separate saniflow pump, which has a check valve on the discharge to prevent any sewer from coming back. I felt comfortable with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.