DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. I'm finishing my basement which has a rough in for a bathroom. I'm going to install a shower and wanted to know what size wood to use for the water wall frame. I framed the wall for the vent/drain line with 2x6's to accommodate the drain line for the sink. My question is the wall where the shower head will be located, should I frame it out with 2x4's or 2x6's. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FYI, make sure you use nail plates in the walls if you use 2 x 4's.....I believe code requires them for anything closer than 1 1/4 " from the edge of a stud:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Everyone. I'm finishing my basement which has a rough in for a bathroom. I'm going to install a shower and wanted to know what size wood to use for the water wall frame. I framed the wall for the vent/drain line with 2x6's to accommodate the drain line for the sink. My question is the wall where the shower head will be located, should I frame it out with 2x4's or 2x6's. Thanks for your help.

If there are no drain or vent lines, you can use 2x4's. But 2x6 will give you more leeway for locating the valve body support brackets and the access door/panel framing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts