DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had an above ground pool installed. As I was about to fill the basket with water to start the pump for the first time, I didn't realize that the valve was open and water spilled out all over the place. I cleaned up the water but it got everywhere. The pump has never been turned on. Did I just ruin my new pool pump?

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Did I just ruin my new pool pump?
Heck no you didn't!

Let it dry out real good I'm sure it will be fine. Is it protected from the rain and pool splashes?

If you have an air compressor blow it out and let it sit for several hours. I'm thinking that should be a totally enclosed motor housing anyway.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You!

Thank you for your reply. I was so worried that I just ruined the motor. I do have the whole pump system set up in a shed next to the pool to keep it out of the elements. There was alot of water but it makes sense that the motor would be somewhat water tight.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
You can usually tell if a motor is enclosed. One tell-tale sign is that they might have cooling-fins on the outside of the housing.

Those things used to be called "Totally Enclosed Housings" or something like that. The label might say "TEH" or something similar on it. I can't remember now.:)

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Most pool pump motors are either totally sealed or "open drip proof". Pretty much any one can be left out in the rain with no ill effects. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts