DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water shut off valve below my toilet is not shutting off. I turned off the water main in my house, and the water stops running in the sinks and tubs, but continues to flow to the toilets, preventing me from making the repair. Is there something I'm doing wrong? If you think it requires a plumber, what is the estimate? Thank you.

·
retired framer
59,845 Posts
The water shut off valve below my toilet is not shutting off. I turned off the water main in my house, and the water stops running in the sinks and tubs, but continues to flow to the toilets, preventing me from making the repair. Is there something I'm doing wrong? If you think it requires a plumber, what is the estimate? Thank you.
Turn off the water to the water heater tank and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
The toilet shut off valve is at a lower point, so there will be some water left there in the pipe. Drain it into a bowl, have another bowl ready when you empty the full bowl - eventually you'll stop the flow. have rugs handy to take care of the water on the floor.
What do you have coming out he wall? Copper nipple?, metal nipple with a male thread?
You may be able to change angle stops with water dripping.

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
If your calve is Brass Craft it seems likely the repair kit will work. While purchasing consider a little tube of plumber's grease/lube to apply to all moving part threads packing rings etc. Failure on these valves is often from closing too tight. With a well lubed valve when you feel the washer contact the seat stop closing.

EDIT: EDIT:

·
Super Moderator
7,796 Posts
Attaching a picture of part.

I was thinking I might be able to use a repair kit from HomeDepot https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-Multi-Turn-Valve-Stem-Repair-Kit-BCSR01/204845385 or just replace the part if I can get it off. It's on a plastic pipe that moves around, so I'm worried I might damage it if I'm not careful.
Agree with you, should work.

Another solution is sharbyte all in one supply line with shutoff. Just cut the pipe and push-on. no soldering required. Watch a how to video if you never used sharkbty before. available at any box store.

·
Registered
10,729 Posts
If you know that your stop valve is a Brasscraft, it should work. But the are other mfgs out there.

You can also have problems attempting to disassemble the valves. Many of those valves are corroded after many years in service.

IMO, you are better off replacing the valve than attempting to repair it.
I like the 1/4 turn valves vs the multi-turn.

Unless you know the age of the supply line between the valve and the toilet, I’d replace it as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.